Use this forum to chat about hardware specific topics for the ESP8266 (peripherals, memory, clocks, JTAG, programming)

By frob
#5284 Most microcontrollers behave this way due to internal pullups on IO pins-
The typical way we handle this case where your output device is active-high, and can't tolerate the glitch, is to put a *stronger* external pulldown on the lO line.
Typically the internal pullups are pretty weak, in the 80-150K range -
The pullup value is usually given in the datasheet, but its not listed in the ESP-8266 summary datasheet that i found.
However they do mention a "hold" function that requires 5uA to override, and that GPIO maximum output current is 12mA ;
So a pulldown current of up to ~ 1-2mA would be safe to use - i.e. in the ballpark of 3.3kohm @3.3V should do the trick.
Putting large capacitors on IO lines is not generally not recommended, as this can cause high peak currents on those IO when they switch, make edge rates very slow, and cause EMI / latchup issues later on -
so not good for reliability
By Jiri
#5292 Hi,
I am also playing with a SSR relay, connected to GPIO13. I have connected a resistor 1.5kOhm between output and GND and the behavior upon boot is OK. Actually I did it from another reason and this is a positive side effect.

By the way, I control the SSR directly with the GPIO without any additional components.
It is beautifully simple. I used a cheap FOTEK SSR-60 DA. According to the specs it should be possible to drive it with 3V, but in reality it was not. My measurements shown the relay starts to react by 4.5V. After I opened the relay, I found a 560Ohm input resistor which I bypassed. My relay works with a 3V level now, input currect around 5.5mA in on state.
By mharizanov
Jiri wrote:... My measurements shown the relay starts to react by 4.5V. After I opened the relay, I found a 560Ohm input resistor which I bypassed. My relay works with a 3V level now, input currect around 5.5mA in on state.

I too have one of the Fotek 40A SSRs and had exactly the same issue. Didn't dare to open it though, good to know how to fix that..