Here we can all chat about fixing the AT+ command structure and the associated responses.

By cnlohr
#998 One of the big things that seems to have helped a lot was when I disabled echo. It made it much more friendly to an outside app using it.

I flat out removed echo, but perhaps we could add the proper AT+E0 or AT+E1 for echo off/on. I would not mind making this change if you guys would like it.
By Squonk
#1001 The proper commands to turn on/off the echo are ATE1 and ATE0, not AT+E1 and AT+E0.
By RichardS
#1003 What's the big deal about AT+ for a command anyway???? really meaningless.

I like doing all my ASCII protocols with !command,something; for setting and ?command; for reading and ?command,arg; for also reading if arguments are needed

I make a command like !LF,1; to turn line feeds on !CR,1; turn CR on, but not required, starts with ! end with ; and is delimited by ,

Example for my led lighting !RGB,100,200,30; :roll:

I have had great success with this method in the past!

This old modem AT thing is odd to me.....

Richard.
By Squonk
#1007 The AT command set is based on a open standard. It handles simple commands like your home-made protocol, but also sophisticated features like switching to a "connected" mode with escape sequences to go back and forth to "command" mode, allows changing connection parameters on the fly, provides result status, command replay, etc.

Even the "A" character from "AT" provides some meaningful information, as its binary value "01000001" allows the autobaud feature by providing both a single bit cell time and byte width values...

Actually, the (small) added complexity brings in a lot of unsuspected (not meaningless) features!

Of course, you can always run your own specific protocol for your own purpose, but sticking to standards is always the best bet in the long run.