Here we can all chat about fixing the AT+ command structure and the associated responses.

By BobDork
#24843 Has anyone compiled a comprehensive list of AT firmware versions available for the ESP8266 along with links where they can be downloaded?

It's relatively easy to find Arduino libraries that support the AT command set, but each one seems to be written to support different firmware versions. I find this frustrating, because it is not so easy to find some of the firmware versions. Also, I find the version numbering inconsistent. I see the Espressif AT docs for version numbers like V0.22 or V0.30, then I see Adafruit referencing v0.924 and others with v0.9.2.2 or v0.952 but find no documentation for them.

How does anyone find matching firmware and documentation to be able to truly understand how to use it or create/adapt libraries for it?
By kenn
#24844 > I see the Espressif AT docs for version numbers like V0.22 or V0.30, then I see Adafruit referencing v0.924 and others with v0.9.2.2 or v0.952 but find no documentation for them.

The AT versions themselves have numbers like V0.22 or V0.30; the numbers v0.9.2.2 or v0.952 are espressif SDK versions. The current espressif SDK release is 1.20, and it
includes AT v30.
New docs about v30 of the AT commands are part of the download.

I haven't yet tried the most recent AT version but I would bet it's the best of the bunch and what people should be using for the best results.

http://esp8266.ru/ has about the best repo of the different AT and SDK versions. Check out the lists in the right side about a quarter of the way down the page. Use Google translate if your Russian isn't any better than mine ;)
By BobDork
#24932 Thanks for the response. That helps. I have previously been to esp8266.ru, but I didn't really know what I was looking for there. I do see the new v30 SDK, but I don't yet see a bin for the AT version that seems to correspond to it. I'll keep checking periodically.

I do notice that from about v25 and newer, some of the AT commands have been deprecated and the libraries that I've seen so far seem to use those old commands. I guess I can just update the libraries with the new commands and try that until the official updates are released.
By kenn
#24938 Download the espressif 1.20 SDK; in the /bin dir is the /at dir with bins and flashing instructions for the v30 AT firmware (I believe; haven't tried).

As I mentioned, when I was learning the AT commandset, I wrote small python apps that ran on my PC and talked to the ESP8266 via the USB-serial interface. I found this a really fast way to experiment with the AT commands and learning the right combinations, when a delay is necessary, etc etc. You can use any PC language you're comfortable with (python, C++, Java, VB, C#, etc) as long as it can use the serial port.

Once you're comfortable with using the AT commands, it's easy to write an app for your target microcontroller.