Here we can all chat about fixing the AT+ command structure and the associated responses.

By playinmyblues
#33033 Hi. I am new to the forum and a new user of the ESP8266 in all forms. Currently, I am working on setting up an ESP-01 module. It is the small module with 8 pins.

I have uploaded the latest nodemcu firmware (nodemcu_integer_0.9.6-dev_20150704.bin) and have tried both a putty serial terminal and Arduino serial terminal at 9600 baud. I am using an FTDI programmer from ebay for a USB-Serial connection.

For both serial terminals, I get the following when I enter in:
AT
stdin:2: '=' expected near 'AT'
>

or:
AT+GMR
stdin:1: unexpected symbol near 'char(3)'
>

The Arduino serial terminal provides the following:
AT
>>

or:
AT+GMR
stdin:2: '=' expected near 'AT'
>

However, when I enter in the following in the putty serial terminal:
wifi.setmode(wifi.STATION)
> wifi.sta.config("yourSSID","your key")
> print(wifi.sta.getip())
XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX

The last line would be the ip address, the mask(?) and the gateway(?) - these are expected results.

The firmware seems to be working on some level. What am I doing wrong with the AT commands? Is my ESP-01 functioning properly? The resulting AT command output is not what is expected but it is providing error messages I can read (not garbage).
By martinayotte
#33191 AT Firmware and NodeMCU, or any others, are separate firmwares. You cannot have both at the same time.
If you wish to have AT Firmware, you will need to download some binaries somewhere or from SDK and flash it back into your ESP.
Personally, I hate AT Firmware, so don't count on me to give your the binaries ... ;)
By playinmyblues
#33272 Thanks for the info. I have found the documentation on this device a little hard to follow with so many sources that seem to be outdated and what looks to be like a quickly changing area. I did not have a lot of problems with the Nodemcu modules but the ESP-01 was a little different.