Questions with regards to ESP8266 Basic and hardware interfacing and control via Basic commands

Moderator: Mmiscool

By livetv
#55472 Here it is, complete with circuit diagram:

HC-S04 sensor circuit.jpg

And here's the code I used to test it:

Code: Select allio(po,12,0)
io(po,4,0)
c = 0
av = 0
esum2 = 0
dim hist(8)
dim er(8)
meter c, 0, 1023
wprint "<br>"
meter av, 0, 1023
wprint "<br>"
meter esum2, 0, 10
timer 500, [tick]
wait

[tick]
io(pi, 4)
io(po, 12, 1)
io(po, 12, 0)
delay 20
t = io(ai)
if t<1023 then
  c = t
  e = 0
 else
  e = 1
  endif
io(po,4,0)
sum = 0
esum = 0
hist(8) = c
er(8) = e
for t=0 to 7
  er(t) = er(t+1)
  hist(t) = hist(t+1)
  sum = sum+hist(t)
  esum = esum+er(t)
  next t
av = sum/8
esum2 = esum
wait

This is test code, meaning that it does more than just sample the sensor. This will make 2 samples per second, report the last readable results in the top meter, the average distance over the last 8 samples in the second meter, and the percentage of known errors in the bottom meter over the last 10 samples.

For a stripped down version to just do individual samples, the following will work:

Code: Select all' Initialization of pins
io(po,12,0)
io(po,4,0)
'  Your code continues here
wait

[sample]
io(pi, 4)
io(po, 12, 1)
io(po, 12, 0)
delay 20
sample = io(ai)
io(po,4,0)
return

And again with comments:

Code: Select all' Initialization of pins
  ' Be sure we are not pulsing the sensor
io(po,12,0)
  ' Ground the capacitor to keep it discharged
io(po,4,0)
'  Your code continues here
wait

' GOSUB here to sample the sensor.  SAMPLE contains the result, 0-1022.  1023 = error.
[sample]

' Allow capacitor to float
io(pi, 4)

' Pulse the sensor to initiate a read
io(po, 12, 1)
io(po, 12, 0)

' Wait for the sensor to respond, allowing it to charge the capacitor
delay 20

' Read the state of charge of the capacitor
sample = io(ai)

'  Start the capacitor discharging.  Should allow about 100 milliseconds for discharge, maybe more.
io(po,4,0)

'  All done!  Here is where you might add statistical analysis and/or precise distance conversion to
  '  burn up some of that 100ms you need to waste.
return

Now remember, this returns state of charge of the capacitor which is NOT linear. The way to turn this into a fairly precise distance is to build a table of sampled values of known distances and do a simple interpolation. I'll get to that another time.

Reminder: The circuit diagram is pictured with a 330ohm resistor. That will limit you to about 4 feet but with fewer sensor errors. A 560ohm resistor gets to about 6 feet but with increasing sensor errors. Your choice.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By orob
#57673 Thanks for posting the circuit! I'm using an HC-SR04 in my sump basket in my basement, but I don't want to tie up the GPIO on my RPi anymore, so I was going to make this on a USB device, but then I thought a micro and an esp8266, but after reading your post, now I think I'll just use the esp8266 so it can take the reading and send the update to the sparkfun server and I'll use the micro for something else.