You can chat about native SDK questions and issues here.

By Merind Glannath
#89409 Hello guys,

I'm facing a similar issue with (it seems) the right toolchain, compiling the same 'hello_world' code... I'm running Ubuntu 20.04. I tried to find information in different spots, but unfortunately, I hit a rock...

Please, may somebody to give a hand?

Thank you in advance!

Here are the messages, I'm receiving:

Code: Select allToolchain path: /home/$USER/esp/xtensa-lx106-elf/bin/xtensa-lx106-elf-gcc
WARNING: Toolchain version is not supported: crosstool-ng-1.22.0-100-ge567ec7
Expected to see version: esp-2020r3-49-gd5524c1
Please check ESP-IDF setup instructions and update the toolchain, or proceed at your own risk.
WARNING: Compiler version is not supported: 5.2.0
Expected to see version(s): 8.4.0
Please check ESP-IDF setup instructions and update the toolchain, or proceed at your own risk.
Python requirements from /home/svilen/esp/ESP8266_RTOS_SDK/requirements.txt are satisfied.
WARNING: Toolchain version is not supported: crosstool-ng-1.22.0-100-ge567ec7
Expected to see version: esp-2020r3-49-gd5524c1
WARNING: Compiler version is not supported: 5.2.0
Expected to see version(s): 8.4.0
Project is not inside a git repository, or git repository has no commits
will not use 'git describe' to determine PROJECT_VER.
App "hello-world" version: 1
LD build/hello-world.elf
/home/$USER/esp/xtensa-lx106-elf/bin/../lib/gcc/xtensa-lx106-elf/5.2.0/../../../../xtensa-lx106-elf/bin/ld: cannot find -lc_nano
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [/home/$USER/esp/ESP8266_RTOS_SDK/make/project.mk:510: /home/$USER/esp/hello_world/build/hello-world.elf] Error 1

Thank you in advance again!
By Invisible
#89442 Heyyah,

I've stumbled upon this issue as well and with search ended up on this forum.

At first I wanted to chime: me too, and provide idf.py reconfigure and build logs, but by grepping ESP8266 IDF I've found c_nano is only mentioned in one component, newlib. It's README.md mentions that you can switch between full libc or libc_nano with idf.py menuconfig, but that suggestion mentions menuconfig path which no longer exists.

But!

If you do idf.py menuconfig and go to:
Code: Select allComponent config --->
        Newlib --- >

and disable:
Code: Select all                [ ] Enable 'nano' formatting options for printf/scanf family

rerun: idf.py reconfigure, then idf.py build will pass through

This leaves me wondering what happened with ESP8266 IDF and specifically newlib component. Depending on the answer, this might be a hack or a permanent solution.

kindest regards,
N::
By davydnorris
#89467 You're using ESP8266 RTOS in the form of the ESP IDF, and I think you've followed the instructions on the Espressif web site but these are outdated.

Instead, folow the instructions that are in the ESP RTOS repo itself:
https://github.com/espressif/ESP8266_RTOS_SDK

You'll see there are links for the later version of the toolchain there