So you're a Noob? Post your questions here until you graduate! Don't be shy.

By PaulRay
#80170 I’m Stuck - Really, stuck

I am completely unable to upload any firmware to my HUZZAH feather ESP8266
I used the advance checklist from https://arduino-esp8266.readthedocs.io/ ... ailed.html

Initial Checks

[YES ] Is your module connected to serial port and visible in IDE?

[YES] Is connected device responding to IDE? What is exact message in debug window?

[YES ] Have you selected correct ESP module type in Board menu? What is the selection?
BOARD=Adafruit Feather HUZZAH ESP8266
Flash Size = 4M (1M SPIFFS)

[from 9600 to 115200] Have you tried to reduce upload speed? What speeds have you tried?

Advanced Checks

[SEE BELOW ] What message is reported by ESP at 74880 baud when entering boot loading mode?
ets Jan 8 2013,rst cause:2, boot mode:(3,7)

load 0x40100000, len 28740, room 16
tail 4
chksum 0xcd
load 0x3ffe8000, len 2888, room 4
tail 4
chksum 0xbc
load 0x3ffe8b50, len 15252, room 4
tail 0
chksum 0x4f
csum 0x4f

[input = output ] Have you checked your USB to serial converter by looping it back? What is the result?

[NO, SEE BELOW] Is your detailed upload log consistent with settings in IDE? What is the log?
The Device is set f HUZZAH and the log shows nodemcu

Reset Method

[N/A] What reset method do you use?
[N/A] What is your connection diagram? Does it match diagram in this FAQ?
[N/A] What is your wave-form of board reset? Does it match wave-form in this FAQ?
[N/A ] What is your wave-form of complete upload? Does it match wave-form in this FAQ?

Software

[YES = 1.8.8 ] Do you use the latest stable version of esp8266 / Arduino? What is it?
[IDE = 1.8.8 MacOS=10.14.3 beta ] What is the name and version of your IDE and O/S?

Serial kext
Output of kext app
codesign -vvvvd /Library/Extensions/SiLabsUSBDriver.kext/
Executable=/Library/Extensions/SiLabsUSBDriver.kext/Contents/MacOS/SiLabsUSBDriver
Identifier=com.silabs.driver.CP210xVCPDriver
Format=bundle with Mach-O thin (x86_64)
CodeDirectory v=20200 size=993 flags=0x0(none) hashes=23+5 location=embedded
Hash type=sha256 size=32
CandidateCDHash sha1=9546e85a0f113cbec39d2cee4b9d303c01f864b2
CandidateCDHash sha256=10cf9de9c1ff996007dde75062eeb2ac8fbf46a0
Hash choices=sha1,sha256
Page size=4096
CDHash=10cf9de9c1ff996007dde75062eeb2ac8fbf46a0
Signature size=4758
Authority=Developer ID Application: Silicon Laboratories Inc (52444FG85C)
Authority=Developer ID Certification Authority
Authority=Apple Root CA
Signed Time=Sep 20, 2018 at 6:14:36 PM
Info.plist entries=21
TeamIdentifier=52444FG85C
Sealed Resources version=2 rules=13 files=0
Internal requirements count=1 size=228
0 0xffffff7f8623e000 0x9000 0x9000 com.silabs.driver.CP210xVCPDriver (5.0.7) AB11368E-3D9B-37F2-A856-017BBC5A2F03 <90 23 5 3>

ARDUINO VERBOSE OUTPUT
https://www.dropbox.com/s/beyzo3shb9hxt ... 4.rtf?dl=0
By QuickFix
#80181 I don't have any (positive) experiences with Macs, but it wouldn't surprise me if the USB driver doesn't (fully) support the DTR- and/or RTS-lines of the USB-serial chip.
To circumvent such a problem, you can always manually set your board into programming mode by (temporary) connecting a push-button (or a link using a Dupont wire) between GPIO0 and GND (since it seems a Huzzah doesn't have a manual flash-button) and then following the manual programming sequence:
  • Press and hold flash
  • Press reset
  • Release flash
Your board should now be in programming mode and you can program it from within the Arduino IDE.
By PaulRay
QuickFix wrote:I don't have any (positive) experiences with Macs, but it wouldn't surprise me if the USB driver doesn't (fully) support the DTR- and/or RTS-lines of the USB-serial chip.
To circumvent such a problem, you can always manually set your board into programming mode by (temporary) connecting a push-button (or a link using a Dupont wire) between GPIO0 and GND (since it seems a Huzzah doesn't have a manual flash-button) and then following the manual programming sequence:
  • Press and hold flash
  • Press reset
  • Release flash
Your board should now be in programming mode and you can program it from within the Arduino IDE.

I tried that. And it did not change anything for me. I still get

warning: espcomm_sync failed
error: espcomm_open failed
error: espcomm_upload_mem failed
By lucasromeiro
PaulRay wrote:
QuickFix wrote:I don't have any (positive) experiences with Macs, but it wouldn't surprise me if the USB driver doesn't (fully) support the DTR- and/or RTS-lines of the USB-serial chip.
  • Press and hold flash
  • Press reset
  • Release flash

I tried that. And it did not change anything for me. I still get

warning: espcomm_sync failed
error: espcomm_open failed
error: espcomm_upload_mem failed

Hello, I use Mac os.
I had problems also to install my driver (node mcu).
That a year ago.
I remember needing to search well for drivers for nodeMcu.
Maybe this is your problem.
Check the chip that you use, search a little about the driver and how to install it on your Mac.
I remember installing 4 types of drivers to make it work.
Remember to restart your computer after installing the drivers !!
Hope this helps!