So you're a Noob? Post your questions here until you graduate! Don't be shy.

By alex_g
urbanze wrote:just a arduino ide, arduino not necessary, you can programmer esp with many methods.. but yes, you can control esp with another uC, i thnk at commands its ok

Hi urbanaze, I was just coming back to qualify my previous answer! :D

I have just been messing around with an ESP-05 for the first time, and you can indeed control it with AT commands!
I am not sure whether it has some custom firmware loaded to enable this, or whether that's how it comes out of the factory. Does anyone know?
This is what mine spits out on connection...

Code: Select allAi-Thinker Technology Co. Ltd.

ready
AT+GMR

AT version:1.1.0.0(May 11 2016 18:09:56)
SDK version:1.5.4(baaeaebb)
Ai-Thinker Technology Co. Ltd.
Jun 13 2016 11:29:20
OK

So maybe this will be sufficient for the original poster, I don't know. Sorry if I misled previously.
However I would take martinayotte's advice seriously on the limitation of communication with at commands.
OTOH, since the original poster only wants to connect two devices, this might be acceptable.
By alex_g
#64623 Hi Diogo

Yes you can control it either via UART TX/RX or via USB if you have one of the extra USB modules - some systems (devkit, witty, wemos, adafruit) have a built in USB.

How you control it is up to you.

1) As you have already seen, you can do it simply by sending AT commands, nothing extra needed.

2) You can program it using C/Arduino-style code (i don't know much about this, that's my next project LOL), There is a whole stack of info/tools available -- see the relevant sections in this forum.

3) You can use the NodeMCU firmware (very easy to flash) and then use the excellent communications libraries (wifi, net, uart, iic, spi, whatever) via Lua scripting, which is a doddle, you can pick it up in a couple of afternoons. See http://nodemcu.readthedocs.io/en/master/

I'm pretty sure one of the above methods will be right for you. Good luck!