So you're a Noob? Post your questions here until you graduate! Don't be shy.

By flagtrax
#81739 Not sure if this is old news or not, but....
I've explored a similar situation, and found this post: https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=437886.0
There is a link in mrbennetts post that provides some insite to this problem.
I was hoping to use the ESP 8266 coupled with a 2.4" tft spi display to create a graphical gauge, because the display is so much faster, being the processor runs faster, and the TFT.eSPI library works so well. I'd not messed with the interrupts on the 8266, so I found that post when searching for information. If I understand it correctly, if the wifi is shut down as in low power mode, it may help the situation. If one needs the wifl, obviously that's not an option.
By Isabel Godfrey
#91545 Even i too faced the same errors, when I used the Arduino code to make it work on Esp8266 NodeMCU. and later found that those Arduino Interrupts are not working for ESP8266 and then I searched for new code for ESP8266 and found few but everything is causing some error.

After lots of searching and compiling finally I found a code from a site circuit schools where they given separate codes with different interrupts for Arduino, ESP8266 and ESP32 which give no errors. but they used 16X2 LCD display which i don't have. I have an OLED display. then i used there tutorial to interface with OLED display and mixed the codes to get the RPM displayed on OLED display. sharing the links below, if anyone need code and schematic grab from there.
Links for the code:
DIY Tachometer using Arduino, ESP8266, ESP32
Interfacing OLED display with ESP8266

Thanks.