So you're a Noob? Post your questions here until you graduate! Don't be shy.

By backupluis
#58732 Hi, Im a newbie with the esp-8266, got two modules an ESP-01 and a Wroom2,
with the 01 just played with a few AT commands just to check if the module
is running well and keep it for a future project.

Since two days ago I'm playing with the Wroom2, everything goes well but I have some problems:

I can't flash properly, for example:

1) If I try to flash

boot (0x0000)
user1 (0x01000)
esp_init_data_default.bin (0x3fc000)
blank.bin (0x7e000, 0x3fe000)

I can't boot anymore, just garbage displayed due to (I guess) Fatal exception errors.

2) AT+CIUPDATE

After update:

2nd boot version : 1.4(b1)
SPI Speed : 40MHz
SPI Mode : QIO
SPI Flash Size & Map: 32Mbit(512KB+512KB)
jump to run user2 @ 81000

Fatal exception (0):
epc1=0x40201c04, epc2=0x00000000, epc3=0x00000000, excvaddr=0x00000000, depc=0x00000000

3) Flash only boot_v1.2 or boot_v1.4(b1) or boot_v1.6 at 0x0000
Can't boot anymore.

Flashed properly (to test): NodeMCU
Flashed properly (to work with my code): only user1 at 0x01000

To recover the module I flash a backup that I made before the first try with the esptool.
The only thing that I can do is only flash user1 at (0x01000), after reset my code works well.

To clarify:
Always use flash_download_tools_v3.4.4 to make the flash test.
Always flash the whole flash with esptool to recover the module and make another test.
NodeMCU was flashed with esptool to test.
I'm a newbie with this module, not a newbie with computers/systems/programming/electronics/microcontrollers/embedded.

-------------------------------------

Another problem is with ESP8266_IOT_PLATFORM

I was playing with the plug example, works well after some mods of makefile due to aligment error of files, the device was found with the android app, turn on/off the gpio and so on.
But the webserver get stuck, when I browse the device with Firefox, I just got two files, index.html and the javascript file, firefox gets waiting for
the response about logo_??.png but the devices never send the data.
With android stock browser and with a Internet explorer, nothing is sent to the browser, the device get showing "index 0, sockfd 3, dummy?"
In the case of firefox, I see in my logs that the address returned by heatshrink_decoder_alloc (a malloc) is returned twice with the same value,
First file is asked to server, the server found the file, call heatshrink_decoder_alloc and this return the address 0x1234 for example, the second file is requested, alloc return the address 0x1234, the third file is requested, alloc return 0x5678, maybe this is normal but I see the same address twice before one of them is released.

I was checking the github of libesphttpd and the files are much newer than the files on the ESP8266_IOT_PLATFORM repo. I will try to update the example files with the files from the repo but I don't believe that I can get something working. Can you check the example or update the files on the repo?

I got some logs about it, implementing some prints and enabling another ones, if you can check them let me know to paste here.

--------------------------------
I don't know and found no data about the GPIO2 function at startup, I have to pull up but don't know why?
I know about gpio15 for sd-card boot, GPIO0 for uart upload, but what about GPIO2?

I really apreciate if somebody can explain me something about this problems or redirect me to another forums, sorry for my poor english.

Regards
Luis