So you're a Noob? Post your questions here until you graduate! Don't be shy.

By atrain040
#61767 Hey, I've got the same problem.

Already installed ch34 driver, now a different Port shows up, but the upload's still not working...

what is 3.3 VDC? I'm using a usual usb cable, which charges my PS4-Controller. the NocdeMCUs led does light up, so actually it can't be, that it gets no power right?
By piersfinlayson
atrain040 wrote:Hey, I've got the same problem.

Already installed ch34 driver, now a different Port shows up, but the upload's still not working...

what is 3.3 VDC? I'm using a usual usb cable, which charges my PS4-Controller. the NocdeMCUs led does light up, so actually it can't be, that it gets no power right?

The ESP8266 chip itself requires 3.3V. If you're using a nodemcu unit this will have a 5V->3.3V power regulator on board taking care of powering the unit.

The OP hasn't said what board he is using.

I've had all sorts of problems with nodemcu boards and other CH340G based USB-TTY boards with both Mac and windows. I've moved to CP210X based ones which work much better.
By g6ejd
#61779 It looks like Apple must limit supply current to their USB ports. The USB specification is 5volts, so they must conform to that otherwise it would not function with other USB devices. The ESP8266 can take up to 120mA and as it operates with an external power supply to a USB Hub, then I think that confirms the Apple protection circuits are causing your problems. You may also find some really cheap micro-USB cables are so resistive they prevent correct operation as the current drawn drops too much voltage at the ESP8266 end.

I just checked the Apple Support section and they say this:
Apple computers and displays with USB 1.1 or USB 2 ports provide:
• Up to 500 mA (Milliamps) at 5 V (Volts) to most Apple USB peripherals and all USB peripherals not made by Apple in compliance with USB specifications.

Apple computers with USB 3 ports provide:
• Up to 900 mA (milliamps) at 5 V (Volts) to most Apple USB peripherals and all USB peripherals not made by Apple in compliance with USB specifications.

So that should be more than enough power for an ESP8266, cable issues?