So you're a Noob? Post your questions here until you graduate! Don't be shy.

By rudy
#80073 I have the same dilemma. I like the ESP8266. I want the company I work for to use it in some of our products. I do like working with the Arduino framework. I have used it for putting together quick test components, to test our hardware (non-ESP). It is used in a couple of test jigs. But I am very reluctant to recommend using Arduino in any of our products.

Also for a commercial product I would skip the ESP8266 and instead go with the ESP32. Along with what was said above, it also has more memory and should have fewer issues when it comes to including encryption.
By McChubby007
#80075 I forgot... Potentially a HUGE positive is that Amazon has bought and now owns/runs FreeRTOS meaning it has a big name behind it that your employers/customers will recognise, and that it already has more extensions with cloud/edge that might make all the difference to your development and/or product.

Of course, there are downsides to being 'swallowed up' by such a big fish (or shark?). Only time will tell. All of the big cloud providers are starting to 'double-down' on the edge side of their offerings, Baidu OS (aliexpress) comes to mind, and they want control over their destiny.

See https://aws.amazon.com/freertos/

As something to put on your CV it's a big plus too. It also forces you (in a good way) to really learn the principles/techniques of a real-time operating system. Given that your career is in embedded then I see that as a good thing... We don't want the whole of the western world being web 'developers' and leave all the hard/exciting engineering to the Chinese do we?
By lucasromeiro
McChubby007 wrote:I forgot... Potentially a HUGE positive is that Amazon has bought and now owns/runs FreeRTOS meaning it has a big name behind it that your employers/customers will recognise, and that it already has more extensions with cloud/edge that might make all the difference to your development and/or product.

Of course, there are downsides to being 'swallowed up' by such a big fish (or shark?). Only time will tell. All of the big cloud providers are starting to 'double-down' on the edge side of their offerings, Baidu OS (aliexpress) comes to mind, and they want control over their destiny.

See https://aws.amazon.com/freertos/

As something to put on your CV it's a big plus too. It also forces you (in a good way) to really learn the principles/techniques of a real-time operating system. Given that your career is in embedded then I see that as a good thing... We don't want the whole of the western world being web 'developers' and leave all the hard/exciting engineering to the Chinese do we?

Thanks for the answer!
It took me a little while to answer because I was coming back from the trip.
So, even with so many interruptions in the day and many operations, it was not to give trouble.
When I do not use modbus it works for months and does not reset.
But when using modbus this reset error is very common (happens to use modbus and does not reset for days) but usually resets a few times a day.
I took advantage today and got a test.
I put the variable that was used in the Modbus function and that was in interruption by timer as VOLATILE. And I put the interruption in RAM.
But that did not solve the problem ...
I'm trying to crawl, but I still can not, because this problem occurs without warning. It is difficult to analyze.
I do not use any kind of delay in the modbus read code. I do not understand how WDT beats .... But it's not always the WDT, sometimes it's an escession, 3,4,28,29 ...
Yes, I use WIFI, but I do not understand how it could cause this ... How can I help wifi not to cause this?
It stays fine for hours and resets unexpectedly.
I can do a WDT that checks which modbus function took more than 500ms to execute. A good idea.
I'll try to encode this and test!
Thanks for the video of Andreas Spiess!
I like him a lot, explain well!

As for my SDK I use the VSCode with PlatformIO
Wow, a lot of information about the SDK!
I believe that we will not need to migrate to esp32, because esp8266 serves us very well regarding price, performance, size, resources, etc.

Thank you for the teachings!
I read a lot about FreeRTOS, I know only the basics.
But at the moment that our product is, you can not go back and do everything from scratch on another platform.
I understand that it is better, more efficient and more modern.
But we already have something ready.
It may be unfeasible to start all from scratch now. (I.e.

Now with this information from Amazon with FreeRTOS, it puts more fire in the game.
We will never have something perfect and definitive ...
Something new will always appear.

Going back to the problem, Since today's test was not positive, I'm going to try to do as I indicated, use a WDT to locate lags.
By McChubby007
#80116 I will try to get a beta version of my trace tool done as quickly as possible, hopefully in next two weeks. I have difficulty in planning because I have a serious illness and it keeps me in bed for many days at a time and my medication prevents me from doing anything much.

Best of luck with your experimentation, and I understand exactly why you can't change everything to something new like freeRtos, that's life, that's the reality of making real things to sell.