So you're a Noob? Post your questions here until you graduate! Don't be shy.

By jwmeyer
#63293 Well I cut my teeth on IBM 360 before personal computers were even dreamed of.
I played around with your sketch and found that the TFT.h included does not seem to be compatible with ESP8266. I compiled for Wemos D1 Mini and after commenting out the include TFT.h line it all worked.
By Cary
#63322 Thanks for your time. I have tried commenting that out. It didn't work. I also tried different boards, without luck.
I cut and pasted the code from Pakt Publishing's resources for the book, so am assuming it has been tested OK. You got it working by commenting out TFT.h. So the problem must be with me - my settings or my installation of the ESP8266 files. Any suggestions where I could be going wrong? I followed the instructions to the letter, at least as I understand them. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling Arduino IDE, too
By Cary
#63329 I have tried a few things and the latest was to once again copy the folder "Arduino-master" into the libraries folder in Arduino15. I am not sure what I have done, nor how, but it is now compiling without error. I will test it again in the morning. Thanks for your help. Much appreciated
By henkoegema
Cary wrote:I set it up they way it is described in the book "Internet of Things with ESP8266", by Marco Schwartz. He has similar instructions online.
The board was added to the IDE with the following:

"http://arduino.esp8266.com/stable/package_esp8266com_index.json"

Which seems to be standard.

I asked for help from the publisher and author. The publisher, Pakt, referred my query to Marco. He replied by asking :
"Just answered also to Packt :) Did you install the definitions from:
https://github.com/esp8266/Arduino"

I downloaded a file from Github called Arduino-Master, and copied the files into the Arduino folder in C:/ *****/appdata/local/arduino15/tools. Without further info I didn't know what else to do. I tried this with both the TOOLS and CORES sub-folders. When that didn't work I also copied them into the Arduino folder in C:/Programs. I have replied to Marco telling him what I have done and asking if I am on the right path, but no reply.

What confuses me is that I can compile some ESP8266 related sketches in the examples, but not others.

I'm not totally computer illiterate (I am old and pre-date even the first IBM PCs and Windows :-)) but this is foreign to me. I don't know if it is in the code, or something to do with the board and libraries

Have you found a solution? :roll:
I'm facing the same problem.
I have not been using this chip for some time, but I previously never had this problem before.