So you're a Noob? Post your questions here until you graduate! Don't be shy.

By alex_g
I want to use a MCU, not Arduino, to receive some data and send through ESP8266 via WIFI to another ESP8266 via WIFI.
Both boards will have a MCU and an ESP8266.
My question is, how do I do this without having to program a custom firmware to ESP8266? I want to use it as it comes.
What's the peripheral(I2C, UART, SPI) that I may use for it?

Your questions seem a bit unclear to me.
NodeMCU is firmware that runs on ESP8266, and is programable in Lua.
You will not have to design your own firmware, of course, but flashing a ready-built custom firmware onto an ESP8266 is a trivial task and you have to do it, since most of the firmware available on the market chips is pretty ancient.

Once you have that set up, the you can program the chip with IIC, SPI, UART, wifi or whatever, these are NodeMCU libraries, NOT peripherals, and they are built in to the chip via the firmware.

All you have to do is use basic Lua to hook up the protocols you want to use (that's up to you), You'd probably end up using wifi and http or tcp.

Do some more reading up to get an idea, the scope of use is pretty huge, and that's without even going to the Arduino/C route suggested by the poster above me.
By Diogo Martins
alex_g wrote:
I want to use a MCU, not Arduino, to receive some data and send through ESP8266 via WIFI to another ESP8266 via WIFI.
Both boards will have a MCU and an ESP8266.
My question is, how do I do this without having to program a custom firmware to ESP8266? I want to use it as it comes.
What's the peripheral(I2C, UART, SPI) that I may use for it?

Your questions seem a bit unclear to me.
NodeMCU is firmware that runs on ESP8266, and is programable in Lua.
You will not have to design your own firmware, of course, but flashing a ready-built custom firmware onto an ESP8266 is a trivial task and you have to do it, since most of the firmware available on the market chips is pretty ancient.

Once you have that set up, the you can program the chip with IIC, SPI, UART, wifi or whatever, these are NodeMCU libraries, NOT peripherals, and they are built in to the chip via the firmware.

All you have to do is use basic Lua to hook up the protocols you want to use (that's up to you), You'd probably end up using wifi and http or tcp.

Do some more reading up to get an idea, the scope of use is pretty huge, and that's without even going to the Arduino/C route suggested by the poster above me.

My point is that I don't want to program the ESP8266. I want to use it as is.
I'll use ESP8266 07 module.
Can I "send" my program through whatever peripherals? That's one of the missing points to me too.

Thanks anyway.
By alex_g
Diogo Martins wrote:I don't want to use Arduino in my project, I'm already using a STM32 mcu.

=====================================
PS. This answer is not strictly correct, please see following conversation...
You CAN use ESP from another MCU, by using AT commands.
Apologies for misinformation :oops:
=====================================

Oh, I see.
You want to use the ESP-07 as a peripheral to provide an Access Point to a project where the MCU is already an STM32. I think you are out of luck - I very much doubt that you can do that without programming the ESP8266.

You see, the ESP is itself an MCU, so unless someone programs it to control its various features, including the wifi, it's unlikely to do so by itself. It is NOT a plug-n-play wifi peripheral, or a wifi dongle for other MCUs, unfortunately, although someone could make it like that, by programming it, I suppose.

===

You would probably need something like a SPWF01SA for the STM32, about €17 from Mouser. That's one of the reasons that ESP8266 is so popular. MCU and integrated wifi, for under €2!
Last edited by alex_g on Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By urbanze
Diogo Martins wrote:Sorry, is it an Arduino code?
I don't want to use Arduino in my project, I'm already using a STM32 mcu.

just a arduino ide, arduino not necessary, you can programmer esp with many methods.. but yes, you can control esp with another uC, i thnk at commands its ok