So you're a Noob? Post your questions here until you graduate! Don't be shy.

By will6
#65958 I see the WiPi from pycom.io (which uses the ESP32) their datasheet states WiFi speed limited to '16mbps' ! That is not even 11g. The slowest competitive 11n module specs I have seen eg Realtek RTL8710BN are 150mbps - same as entry-level Router specs. Is the v. low speed a limitation of all ESP8266 & ESP 32 modules and what is the cause ?

Is the 11n speed better on the ESP32 than the 8266 ?

I have been unable to find any Speed v Range graphs published for any of these modules. Does anyone have links showing the speed performance of ESP boards ?

Reason I ask I want to connect my miniPC (which has a poor WiFi range) to public AP's 100 to 300 meters away. Using a android phone usb tethered does the job (except only just reaches the nearest AP), just picking the wanted AP from a list (on the Android screen of course) then entering the passkey. I heard the ESP8266/ESP32 has very good range, so wondered if there is an App I can load into the ESP so I can access & connect to APs, just like in the Windows or Intel PROSet App ?

If the above is achievable, does the ESP need to be in STATION mode & PC connected via USB tether ?
Thanks in advance.