So you're a Noob? Post your questions here until you graduate! Don't be shy.

By sonaht
#66644 Hello!

Ok, this is a garden project.
1 humidity sensor connected on an ESP-12 which should send a value on a specific time on an ESP-12 receiver.
This receiver will need to decide according to the value received if to turn the water valve ON and for how long.

I DO NOT WANT TO USE INTERNET.
I want to use it locally. It is a farm site with NO internet connection.

Is this possible? (to run it on a local scale?)

If yes, would you be kind enough to suggest a starting place to get some info, or some guidelines so as to get it started?

Hope this message reaches some people here...
By rudy
#66805 No internet required. But what to do depends on what you need it to do. Do you have a power source for any module you want to use? Batteries can be used but battery life is not very good compared to other radios. Also how far apart with the devices be?

You can set up one device as a server and another as a client and pass information that way. I like the Arduino framework but there are others, along with a Basic that is popular here. When I get home tonight I will post more.
By JackB
#66820 Wifi doesn't need internet. This "IoT" name is misleading.

I agree with the other replies, esp8266 chip consumes 10x more power than a nrf2401.
I use a msp430 and nrf2401 for many things, and it can run on a AA battery for a very long time and do what you want no problem if the distances are not too far and you get line of sight to/from the sensor location and your control location.
TI has starter boards for msp430 a few dollars and lots of support.