So you're a Noob? Post your questions here until you graduate! Don't be shy.

By joedarock
#66905 Hi Guys!

I have an application where I need to build a network of devices but I won't have a traditional router. I plan to use an ESP8266 for the AP function. Call that location "central". There will be some equipment co-located with the AP at "central" that I'd like to be able to monitor/control over the network. There will also be other ESP8266 devices (call these "remotes") that need to monitor/control the equipment at the "central" AP location. I'll be using UDP in my application code for this.

I'm wondering if the "central" ESP8266 can act as not only the AP for the network, but also as a controller (STA) for the equipment to be monitored/controlled at "central". In this way, any "remote" station or a PC or phone could monitor any site on the network, including "remotes" and "central" without having to add an additional STA ESP8266 at "central".

If this is doable, I'd appreciate a high-level description of the steps involved to make the "central" ESP8266 perform both the AP function for the network as well as a STA function to control local equipment.

Joe