So you're a Noob? Post your questions here until you graduate! Don't be shy.

By rs2845
#68678 Hi everyone,

Perhaps someone can try point me to some relevant examples.

What I’m trying to achieve:
I’m wanting to have my ESP8266 capture and store bytes received via serial (they can come through at any time) and then allow specific devices to interact with the data via a POST request (request/delete subsets of the packets being stored in active memory). I’d probably only have around 6 HTTP endpoints.

Specific requirements:
- ESP8266 needs to broadcast as a standalone network, which can be joined to, allowing the user to then join the device to their own network. I don’t want to hardcode the wifi credentials.
- Allow the setting of a dynamic DNS URL at the same time as setting the wifi credentials which need to be retained if powered down.
- Serial data will come through and need to be stored in a buffer/active memory.
- HTTP POST requests need to allow the user to request/edit/delete subsets of the data via specific endpoints. Preferably POST requests. (http://ipaddress:xyz/endpointA but with real data obv)

There’s just so many examples and github projects out there using lua and then Arduino. Hard to know which to commit to and merge together, for me to achieve what I’m trying to achieve.

So far I “think” I need to use STA+AP mode. But from here, I’m not sure how to create the AP setup page, combine the tcp server with a HTTP server and reliably return the data response.

Luckily the system sending the data will keep sending until it’s acknowledged so I don’t think I need to worry about interrupts.

Any concise advice/directions would be helpful. I’m familiar with Arduino and using ESP8266.