So you're a Noob? Post your questions here until you graduate! Don't be shy.

By rudy
I have two capacitors between and near to the Vcc and Gnd pins.

It looks like your 1000uF cap is going into the perf-board and is not soldered directly to the module. While 1000uF is a lot of capacitance it is not ideal for this application. Larger parts have more inductance and can't deliver the required current instantaneously.

Another concern I have is (I think) there is no regulator at the module. I would put a scope on the circuit. Ground the scope to the metal shield of the ESP module, put the probe on the Vcc pad. These measurements need to be dome this way in order to see what the power at the module is doing.

One thing you might be able to try is using a slightly higher voltage than 3.3 volts. If you are getting dips this might bring it up enough to work. But if it does, this is not a solution, just a temporary band aid.
By Luiz Almeida
#73468 Hi Rudy,

First of all, I would like to thank you by spend your time trying to help me.
As you told, my 1000uF capacitor was soldered through the perf-board.
I followed your advice and replaced that capacitor by a 100uF.
As you can see here, I also soldered the 100nF capacitor directly to the module and the 100uF capacitor through the perf-board. (is located bellow the plate adapter)
My 3 or 4 first attempts to upload and running some blink leds did the job very well but after a while I start to have issues.
The error is the same I was facing before:

Code: Select all ets Jan  8 2013,rst cause:2, boot mode:(3,6)

load 0x4010f000, len 1384, room 16
tail 8
chksum 0x2d
csum 0x2d
v4ceabea9
~ld
e:ÿ
 ets Jan  8 2013,rst cause:3, boot mode:(3,6)

ets_main.c

Unfortunately I don't have an osciloscope.
I tried to supply the module by this regulator but no success.
It appears to be related with time...maybe with the internal temperature of the module.
Thank you in advance.
Regards,

LA
By rudy
#73469 Solder the 100uF directly to the ESP module. I have used some of those adapter PCBs and have had to be very selective of the regulator I used. Along with that I soldered some tantalum caps across the module supply pins in as short a path as I could. Since then no more crashing problems.

This is one of my modified modules. The cap is the part with the 10V. Along with that 68uF cap I also have a 10uF cap (above it) connected in parallel.

Before I did these modifications I thought I was getting software crashes. After the mods all my software crashes disappeared. And it is not just the added parts, how they are added to the circuit matter. A short low impedance path with parts that are appropriate for the current requirements.

IMG0728.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By Luiz Almeida
rudy wrote:Solder the 100uF directly to the ESP module...

rudy wrote:...Since then no more crashing problems.

rudy wrote:...After the mods all my software crashes disappeared.

Hi rudy,

I will change the place of my 100uF capacitor.
Something I would like to mention is that my problem is to put sketches running after upload them to the ESP. In the uploading process I get no errors but as soon the uploading process finishes and the ESP restarts, most of the time the code simply doesn't run and I get those codes in the serial interface instead of the messages I programmed.
If I get lucky to put it running the code, it gets running always even after a manual reset.
I don't know why most of the time the code is not flashed in to the ESP properly.
For me the uploading/flashing process must be a reliable process.
I'll send news.
Thank you for your help.
Regards,

LA