So you're a Noob? Post your questions here until you graduate! Don't be shy.

By kidbreaker22
#72203 So basically I have a project as the title says above, what I have planned to do is get a dimmable LED bulb 110V-10W (requirements), ESP8266 NodeMCU, and a relay maybe PowerSwtich Tail II from http://www.powerswitchtail.com/

My question is, can all of these things work together? I planned to connect the ESP8266 and the LED Lamp with the PowerSwitch so my microcontroller can control an AC device. But can the LED Lamp be dimmed by changing the PWM? Is it compatible with the PowerSwitch?

If you guys have any other ideas please do say so, thank you.
By trackerj
#72208 For a very smooth AC light dimmer solution you can use a MPDMv4 Universal AC Dimmer module.

You don't need to waste ESP8266 time and fight with the watchdog and interrupts for implementing phase control detection, Zero crossing detector, etc, all these funtions are done on the MPDMv4 AC dimmer board, just provide a variable VCNT (voltage control value - explained here) between 0V (full ON) and about 2.85V (full OFF). Add a 16 Channel PWM expander like the PCA9685 one for example and you have a 16 Channels solution or even more if you add more than one.

You have already software examples for Arduino IDE, ESP Basic, Blynk, ESPEasy, Domoticz integration, etc.

If you want a all-in-one board, the big brother, the MPDMv7.5 AC Dimmer DevBoard is exactly what are you looking for. It has onboard place for the ESP8266 module and all the bits and pieces needed, just connect it to your lighbulb & power and that's it! A quick software example can be seen HERE.