So you're a Noob? Post your questions here until you graduate! Don't be shy.

By SupDoc
#74720 I am using the github site to do this, in arduino IDE:
I was able to enter the in the preferences > board mgr: http://arduino.esp8266.com/stable/packa ... index.json
in the tools>board mngr. window, with appropriate comma.
I opened the board magr, but could not find the ESP8266. When I went back to preferences it was gone. So I downloaded esp8266-2.4.1.zip file & unzipped it. It went into a file under ESP8266. How do I install it from there?
By QuickFix
#74737 It's all perfectly described at GitHub.

I once started off with the board manager until I needed things available only in the live repository.
Both methods worked for me without too much trouble, the only thing is that you follow the instructions to the letter and don't "Assume" you know a shortcut.
Last edited by QuickFix on Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
By SupDoc
#74750 Dear QuickFix: When I click on the hyperlink you kindly provided, I get a long list of files (No install instructions) I see <download files> I click on that and I get "Uploads are disabled. File uploads require push access to this repository."
I have no idea what a "push" means or how to proceed from here. I'm really sorry to be so dumb, but I honestly don't know what to do here. If you are willing, you may have to detail how to install the ESP8266 files one painful step at a time.