So you're a Noob? Post your questions here until you graduate! Don't be shy.

By SupDoc
#74785 Here is my ultra-simple code. I have gotten this and about 6 other sketches to work on an Arduino Uno & AdaFruit feather. All I get is an error message; "error: espcomm_upload_mem failed" I have tried both com 3 & com 10. I'm beginning to believe I have a bad board. What is your opinion?
/*
DigitalReadSerial
*/

// digital pin 2 has a pushbutton attached to it. Give it a name:
int pushButton = 2;

// the setup routine runs once when you press reset:
void setup() {
// initialize serial communication at 9600 bits per second:
Serial.begin(9600);
// make the pushbutton's pin an input:
pinMode(pushButton, INPUT);
}

// the loop routine runs over and over again forever:
void loop() {
// read the input pin:
int buttonState = digitalRead(pushButton);
// print out the state of the button:
Serial.println(buttonState);
delay(1000); // delay in between reads for stability
}
By yknivag
#74786 What kind of ESP board are you using? Some need to be put into programming mode before you can upload to them.

Also a good first check is the cable. Try a different one first - it can save a lot of trouble shooting

If neither of those are the issue then ensure you have the correct baud rate and the correct settings for the flash type etc.
By SupDoc
#74815 All that information & I forgot to mention the board type - ESP8266-12E.
Changed the cable - no change in performance; same error message. I do see, as in previous, a blue LED flash when I hit the RESET button.
There was an information bulletin that appeared when I attempted to upload: "ESPino (ESP-12 module) 80 mHz, OK, 4M (1M SPIFFS), V2, Lower Memory Disabled, None, only Sketch, 115200 on com3"
Looks like the Lower Memory may be disabled. How do I enable it?
Normally, there is a code line specifying the baud rate - not in this case. I can add one to change it if necessary.
How do I put it in Programming mode?
How do I change the flash rate? What value should I use?
By rudy
All that information & I forgot to mention the board type - ESP8266-12E

I'll assume you mean a ESP-12E. Do you mean that this board has successfully loaded sketches but now does not? Or is this a different board compared to the ones above that you mentioned?

If it is a different module then how are all the required bits connected? (power, pull up/down resistors, GPIO-0)