So you're a Noob? Post your questions here until you graduate! Don't be shy.

By opale7000
#75542 Hello

I wish to control some house lights from a central Linux PC. I have been told that the ESP8266 c ould do such a task. I have some arduino knowledge and read up on the ESP8266 getting started. Before I go any further,
can a linux PC via terminal or other means send command on a AUTOMATIC scheduled basis over Wifi to the ESP8266 to control a relay?
By Thomas Patrick
#75597 Yes you can.

I would suggest setting up PHP and a database on your system. Store your schedule in the database. Have the esp request the php page every few minutes (or seconds), The php page compares the current time with the schedule in your database and returns on or off to the esp.

I would get a esp8266 development board like the NodeMCU, they are usually under 3$ on aliexpress.com and it comes with the esp. It will be much easier than the esp alone. Check out youtube they have many videos on the subject.

Note: the esp is a 3.3 volt system don't use a 5v relay they sell for arduino. I'm worried about a fire if the 3.3v fail.
By trackerj
#75624 You can also use also a existing solution for home automation, like Domoticz for example.

Combined with a Home Automation dev board like MPRSx8 for example you can create in a very simple and safe way a full home automation project:

See Video Tutorials below:

Upload firmware using the USBPrg adapter
Firmware Upload using a generic USB adapter
ESPEasy Firmware configuration
MPRSx8 Domoticz Tutorial

If you want just a simple web interface, here you have a tutorial about: add a simple web interface to your Home Automation dev board.