So you're a Noob? Post your questions here until you graduate! Don't be shy.

By Timmiej93
#75961 I would love to be able to update my NodeMCU ESP8266-01 OTA, since they're located in awkward spots. I'm by no means an expert regarding the ESP or NodeMCU, but I haven't been able to find anything recent about OTA updates. I found some discussions about it going back to 2015, but it never seems to have been implemented.

I use my ESP with NodeMCU to control a PWM dimmer. I upload a precompiled version of NodeMCU with the NodeMCU Firmware FLasher, and then use ESPlorer to upload a custom lua file called 'init.lua'. I'm not even sure if this is the proper way to do stuff, but it works.

So the main question: Has OTA updating been implemented, or is it possible in some way?
By QuickFix
#75971 The Arduino IDE (with ESP8266 core) supports this feature for a while now.

As a follow up, Andreas Spiess (the guy with the Swiss accent) along with some others also have released a website called IOTappStory.com that plays with OTA in a Playstore/Appstore kind of way. :idea:

I don't know anything about LUA, so can't comment on that.
By Timmiej93
#75983 I have tried using the Arduino IDE for OTA updates, but the Network Port just refused to show up for me, despite an excessive amount of fiddling with Firewalls and other network related stuff.

I have found a 'Web IDE', which I've been able to merge into my code, so I can access the Lua files on the ESP directly, which is what I was looking for. If I get permission, I'll share the details on how to do this here.