So you're a Noob? Post your questions here until you graduate! Don't be shy.

By joshhymel
#78058 Good day friends, let me start by saying I am an absolute noob. I have several devices I would like to build but am having trouble getting started. With that being said, I have been trying to find examples of a setup I would like to make.
I would like to have 4 wireless temp sensors to put in different rooms of my house. All able to be displayed in excel or something comparable. I also want to beable to tell when my thermostat turns on my ac unit and when it turns my ac unit off.
Basically I want to beable to see at what temperature each room is at when the unit comes on and turns off mostly for balancing purposes but I'd like to see how cold/hot my 6yo and 2yo sons rooms get.
If I'm not mistaken(which is why I'm here) I can take an esp8266 es-01s wire a 18b20 temp sensor and have them each cast over wifi to my laptop. The thing I am having issues with is how they all communicate with my laptops excel. Is there a way to have excel just compile the data from the ip address of each sensor setup and have just a huge running list of temperatures taken every minute or whatever time span I choose.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
By PatrykW
#78068 the simplest way would be to have the esp broadcast the temperature value periodically over your wifi network in a form of UDP packet and then use a script on your computer to record it. That's what i'm doing, but since i'm using linux and not windows, and i have no idea how to do that on windows, can't tell you how.
the second option would be to have a web server installed on your machine and have the esp make http get requests to report the values, save them to a simple csv file. i believe excell can import that.
By PatrykW
#78244 Here's another tip for ya: if you want to save on power and at the same time get way more community support, get yourself a wifi router supported by OpenWRT.
This way not only you'll find tons of code online which you'll just have to paste without much alterations, but also your computer won't have to run 24/7 to log the data. That's basically a Linux box with all the goodies in your WiFi router, you know :)