So you're a Noob? Post your questions here until you graduate! Don't be shy.

By embedded
#80222 Thank you very much for the advice. Yep, the power supply isn't a trivial issue and just like yourself, I made a lot of experiments until I started to get proper responses from the module. Well, checking my supply here with a DMM, the AC reads 1~2 mV. It is a well designed and regulated voltage with filtering caps. So, you suggest adding that electrolytic cap across the power lines of the module?

gibo77 wrote:Be careful with power supply. Even though your fluke meter would say 3.34VDC, it does not mean it will ALL work. Mine was working EXCEPT on the wifi functionality. I could not ping the ESP8266!!

I learned it the hard way. Good thing I read some threads here and pointed to check your power supply.
Mine was reading 3.34VDC, but the AC part was around 50mV, so there is so much ripple. I made my own power supply but I got lazy on the capacitors. So I jumpered it with an electrolytic with capacitance of 47uF. Low and behold it worked! Now I can ping it and Alexa can recognize my device. Sweet feeling after that!
My AC now becomes 4mV.
Happy designing!
By QuickFix
embedded wrote:but I just don't see how you suggest dropping the whole uC

I wasn't suggesting dropping your STmicro, please notice the phrase:
QuickFix wrote:Normally I would also suggest to drop

Since I don't know anything about your product or how many I/O's and processing power it needs, I obviously can't suggest dropping anything (most of the people here want to use an ESP with AT FW in conjunction with an Atmel/Arduino, which is most of the time pretty silly).