So you're a Noob? Post your questions here until you graduate! Don't be shy.

By davydnorris
GreenBlood wrote:Yeah I’ve got those, they were not cheap. I want to use what I have to interigate or photo and email to me is a possibility.
Steve

Do you have a circuit or even a photo of the insides of the existing unit?

And @btidey's ides is not a bad one either. That would definitely work
By GreenBlood
btidey wrote:For a remote image of the display you could use a serial jpg camera interfaced to the esp8266

See https://cassiopeia.hk/wificam/

Thats an idea. I have a raspberry pi 3 and a picam so, if the WiFi reaches I could use that and save me 15£ on a serial camera for the esp.

Thanks
By GreenBlood
davydnorris wrote:
GreenBlood wrote:Yeah I’ve got those, they were not cheap. I want to use what I have to interigate or photo and email to me is a possibility.
Steve

Do you have a circuit or even a photo of the insides of the existing unit?

And @btidey's ides is not a bad one either. That would definitely work

I don’t have a schematic for the sensor displays, but I was assuming that the state of the individual LEDs could be read and fed into the esp somehow? Like the reverse of using an led numeric display with one, only in reverse?
Steve
By btidey
#81325 The raspberry pi method would be easy if you have those bits already. I use the Pi for all my video cam projects as its onboard GPU makes the handling of real time high quality video easy. There are many software solutions for this e.g. https://elinux.org/RPi-Cam-Web-Interface

Note that a Pi Zero W is fine for this task if you want to keep the Pi 3 for other things.

You could try decoding directly from the LED displays if you want to avoid a camera based approach. There are a couple of complications with this method. First you may need a fair number of GPIOs. Second the display is almost certainly multiplexed making the capture and decoding a bit trickier.