So you're a Noob? Post your questions here until you graduate! Don't be shy.

By GreenBlood
btidey wrote:The raspberry pi method would be easy if you have those bits already. I use the Pi for all my video cam projects as its onboard GPU makes the handling of real time high quality video easy. There are many software solutions for this e.g. https://elinux.org/RPi-Cam-Web-Interface

Note that a Pi Zero W is fine for this task if you want to keep the Pi 3 for other things.

You could try decoding directly from the LED displays if you want to avoid a camera based approach. There are a couple of complications with this method. First you may need a fair number of GPIOs. Second the display is almost certainly multiplexed making the capture and decoding a bit trickier.

Thanks for that, I will look into a zero, I am concerned with WiFi range, will the zero do better than the pi3? Will it take a camera? I know nothing about them...yet!
I was thinking one could use a display chip in reverse somehow and produce anumber then I suppose it could be converted into analog to give an indication of level, then do some tests to get the alert working at the correct levels?

Steve