So you're a Noob? Post your questions here until you graduate! Don't be shy.

By kathygiggles
#88476 Hi everyone,
I bought 2 Wemos D1 minis and I thought it would be an easy set up. I use a MAC so I downloaded the files needed (the CH341SER_MAC) and I already had the Arduino IDE. I also downloaded the library to use the ESP8266 boards and changed the board to the Wemos D1 R2 & Mini. I changed the baud rate to 115200 on both the serial monitor as well as in the code with Serial begin.

Initially, I tried the Blink code provided which worked perfectly without issues, but realised that I wanted my project to use WiFi (which I hadn't done before). So, I checked out lots of examples (since I didn't have an LED, the ones I followed with an LED used the BUILTIN_LED). All I tried to follow had compilation errors that I didn't know how to fix because I'm new, or connected to another app/website which wouldn't have helped me understand the wifi connection I needed to set up anyway.

I found one tutorial in which you connect an LED strip - which worked finally. It created a webpage and printed out the local IP you needed to connect to! https://github.com/esp8266/Arduino/issues/3037 (Although this person had problems with the code, the main code is what worked for me). My area then had Wifi problems so that was the end of the working day for me!

Next day, without changing anything, the Arduino IDE couldn't upload code to the board anymore. I check the errors:
FatalError('Failed to connect to %s: %s' % (self.CHIP_NAME, last_error)) esptool.FatalError: Failed to connect to ESP8266: Timed out waiting for packet header esptool.
FatalError: Failed to connect to ESP8266: Timed out waiting for packet header

I tried to fix this error by resetting the board, removing it, ensuring I had all the right downloads, the board was correct, the upload rate was right, and the port was the right one. I then followed the advice online by downloading previous versions of the ESP8266 boards and using those (2.5.0). This time the error that came up was:
ets Jan 8 2013,rst cause:4, boot mode:(3,6)

wdt reset
load 0x4010f000, len 1264, room 16
tail 0
chksum 0x42
csum 0x42
~ld

I then went back to the updated version (2.7.4) with the error:
warning: espcomm_sync
failed error: espcomm_open
failed error: espcomm_upload_mem
failed error: espcomm_upload_mem failed

I uploaded a Blink file and it came up with failed attempts at connecting to the internet but still managed the blink the built-in LED.

It might be an issue with trying to use the wire.h and the spi.h headers that I need for my project, but I haven't found any alternatives that are Wemos D1 Mini friendly. If any one could help I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!