So you're a Noob? Post your questions here until you graduate! Don't be shy.

By richard.taplin
#94383 Help, I’m lost and going mad
This is my first try at using a ESP8266 Wi-Fi chip
While trying things and following examples, I updated the firmware with a basic system, ot the standard downloader.
This all appeared to work.
I later found this was a basic firmware that is not compatible with the Latest Blynk Software that I’m trying to use.
So, I want to update it to the latest of best firmware version
however
I downloaded the proper download tool “3.9.2”. but its more modern than all the examples and instructions.
I have now downloaded an older version “3.8.5” and that looks the same as demos.
I have downloaded lots of different versions of the firmware, but none of them have exactly the same files as the demos or examples .
I have tried all sorts of settings, versions and files, but I just can’t get it to work
I just get rubbish coming through on the coms after the reset, at all board speeds
The board is ESP-01
The chip detected as 4014h QUAD; 8Mbit 26Mhz
The originals version before I fuxed it, was, SDK version:1.3.0, Ai-Thinker Technology Co. Ltd, Build:1.3.0.2 Sep 11 2015 11:48:04
It would be Very much appreciated if some one more knowledgeable could tell me
Which is the best downloader to use
What is the exact best firmware to use? Please don’t just say the latest
And lastly, what are the correct files and setting to use?
I don’t want to become an expert , i just want to make it go
Its driving me nuts.

Richard
By richard.taplin
#94396 It tool a bit to figure out the ESP tool, but I got there in the end & the command you sent me worked first time.

Thank you. I really appreciate your help.

JurajA wrote:download here https://github.com/espressif/ESP8266_NONOS_SDK/releases

use esptool.py

esptool.py write_flash --flash_size 1MB 0x0 boot_v1.7.bin 0x01000 at/512+512/user1.1024.new.2.bin 0xfb000 blank.bin 0xfc000 esp_init_data_default_v08.bin 0xfe000 blank.bin 0x7e000 blank.bin