So you're a Noob? Post your questions here until you graduate! Don't be shy.

By techrevo
#95731 Hi! I'm projecting a PCB board based on Raspberry RP2040 processor and ESP-12F for IoT services over Wi-Fi. I have already created RP2040 connections following official Raspberry documentation. Now I should connect ESP-12F to Raspberry RP2040 and create other connections (like buttons for reset and flash mode). How can I use ESP-12F only as Wi-Fi module for wireless transmission? Could I connect TX of Raspberry to RX of ESP-12F and viceversa? How can I create some buttons (or wire jumpers) to control ESP-12F mode of operation? This is ESP-12F official documentation; my schema is attached below.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By btidey
#95740 You can use the ESP8266 as a wifi module controlled by the serial port as you indicate. It typically would use the AT modes firmware where it is controlled by AT commands.

However, I have to ask the obvious question; why aren't you using the RP2040 W module with built in wifi connectivity. That's a lot cleaner then a rather clunky add on approach.
By techrevo
btidey wrote:However, I have to ask the obvious question; why aren't you using the RP2040 W module with built in wifi connectivity. That's a lot cleaner then a rather clunky add on approach.

I would like to create a customized version of Raspberry Pi Pico W with USB-C, female headers, etc. Unfortunately the original Wi-Fi chip used by Pico W (Infineon CYW43439) is not available from my PCB provider. So I opted for an ESP8266 but it is more difficult to implement.

btidey wrote:You can use the ESP8266 as a wifi module controlled by the serial port as you indicate. It typically would use the AT modes firmware where it is controlled by AT commands.

What is the correct schema to set it in AT mode? Should I add some buttons for reset and flash options?