Advanced Users can post their questions and comments here for the not so Newbie crowd.

Moderator: eriksl

By eriksl
#81249 Hi there,

I have now almost finished replacing the espconn interface in my application by the native LWIP interface. That wasn't so bad after all.

Now my next step would be is to replace the pre-compiled lwip from Espressif with one I compiled myself. I am not too sure how to do that. The ESP8266_NONOS_SDK module has a subdirectory third_party/lwip. Is this the exact version that Espressif uses to compile liblwip.a and also the latest as included in the SDK libs? Has anyone tried this?

After that, I see some people using newer versions of LWIP, especially LWIP2. Is there a significant advantage of using newer versions over the stock version? How do you make sure the ESP8266 integration/patches are in place?

Has anyone been using IPv6 using LWIP?

Thanks,
Erik.
By eriksl
#81253 Can anyone tell me what's the current overall status? Does anyone have LWIP2 working or not?

Has anyone managed to use the LWIP source included in the SDK repo, compile it themselves and use it successfully? Even that would be a huge step ahead for me.
By d-a-v
#81254 > Can anyone tell me what's the current overall status?

lwip2 status is:
- it is working for over a year in arduino-esp8266, which is using nonos-sdk (v2)
- following the github link above will show you the lwip2 status about esp-open-sdk (and by extension nonos-sdk)

> Has anyone managed to use the LWIP source included in the SDK repo, compile it themselves and use it successfully?

Compiling lwip (v1.4-espressif-patched) can be done like this:
$ cd third_party/lwip
then
$ make
(or)
$ make COMPILE=gcc

output:
xtensa-lx106-elf-ar: creating .output/eagle/debug/lib/liblwip.a