Advanced Users can post their questions and comments here for the not so Newbie crowd.

Moderator: eriksl

By davydnorris
#81494 Thanks for the tips! I'll have a look through your settings and roll some of them into my own.

One thing you mentioned -
also you must use fat-lto-object or otherwise esptool(2) can't handle the resulting object file.
- I have never used this setting and have never had a problem with either esptool version. Maybe you need it because of one of the other linker settings? Maybe it's the
-fuse-linker-plugin
setting?

Also while looking at the effect of no-check-sections I came across options to demangle names. I'll have a try with those to see if they help when lto is on.
By davydnorris
#81501 Just tried your warnings and got some errors due to unrecognised options - I'm using gcc 6.4.0 so I reckon you're using 7.x? These are the ones that 6.4.0 will complain about:
Code: Select allxtensa-lx106-elf-gcc: error: unrecognized command line option '-Wformat-overflow=2'; did you mean '-Wstrict-overflow='?
xtensa-lx106-elf-gcc: error: unrecognized command line option '-Wimplicit-fallthrough=5'; did you mean '-Wno-fallthrough'?
xtensa-lx106-elf-gcc: error: unrecognized command line option '-Wformat-truncation=2'; did you mean '-Wline-truncation'?
xtensa-lx106-elf-gcc: error: unrecognized command line option '-Wstringop-overflow=4'; did you mean '-Wstrict-overflow='?
xtensa-lx106-elf-gcc: error: unrecognized command line option '-Walloca'; did you mean '-Wall'?
xtensa-lx106-elf-gcc: error: unrecognized command line option '-Wduplicated-branches'; did you mean '-Wduplicated-cond'?
xtensa-lx106-elf-gcc: error: unrecognized command line option '-Wdangling-else'