Left here for archival purposes.

By onlyindian
#25302 I was pinging from my laptop and ARP on my router.

after your reply I pinged from router to esp and then saw the mac address and IP address both. So that must have been the problem. Thank you.

Now I see my ESP in my Router active wireless client list. I am attaching the snapshot. as you can see it doesn't have any name associated with it. How can it be set??.

Also this client list is very temporary.It is disappearing very quickly and never comes back unless its pinged it from the router. any idea what can be the problem.
Attachments
esp.png
By martinayotte
#25305 The ARP cache timeout, on Linux, defaulted to 60 seconds, it can be set/read thru /proc/sys/net/ipv4/neigh/default/gc_stale_time.
On Windows, I think there is a registry that can be created to change the default.
On your DLink DIR-600, I think this is hard-coded, but I'm not sure.

For the hostname issue, I'm not sure either, because I've tested changing it in my ESP using wifi_station_set_hostname() from the SDK (I don't know if Lua expose that) and it didn't change output of arp on my Linux machine, since arp rely on DNS entries. Maybe a workaround for you would be to use static DCHP IP on your router, in this case, you will provide the name in the router ifself.