Post your best Lua script examples here

By gwizz
#6222 Hello everybody,

Wow this lua stuff is really getting into my brain - not entirely in a good way!! I woke up in the early hours of the morning with my head filled with code just going around and around. After a few minutes I just gave up, got up and wrote my second lua program. I don't mind really - in fact it's quite exciting writing code that works sweetly - and then sharing it here is a nice end point.

I must be a better programmer whilst unconscious because I was really easily able to just cut through the difficulties I had understanding the data sheet and arduino examples last night.

This code is going to be part of a pH sensor and the ADC I've got in front of me is part of a great little board by Ryan Edwards at Sparky's Widgets. It's fully open source and I've used them in production in a fish tank for six months now and it's worked without a hitch. I've documented my previous version of a sensor using this circuit here.

As ever, your comments and suggestions are welcome -

Code: Select all-- This code is GPL v3 by gareth@l0l.org.uk
-- blah blah blah standard licence conditions apply blah blah blah
-- Special hat-tip to sancho and ryan amongst many others
-- Reads value of MCP3221 I2C ADC

id=0  -- need this to identify (software) IC2 bus?
io_pin= {[0]=3,[2]=4,[4]=2,[5]=1,[12]=6,[13]=7,[14]=5} -- this maps GPIO numbers to internal IO references
sda=io_pin[12] -- connect to pin GPIO14
scl=io_pin[14] -- connect to pin GPIO12
addr=0x4C -- the I2C address of our device

-- initialize i2c with our id and pins in slow mode :-)
i2c.setup(id,sda,scl,i2c.SLOW)

-- user defined function: read from reg_addr content of dev_addr
function read_adc(dev_addr)
     i2c.start(id)
     i2c.address(id, dev_addr,i2c.RECEIVER)
     c=i2c.read(id,2)
     i2c.stop(id)
     return c
end

print("Reading ADC value")
for i=0,100 do
     result=read_adc(addr)
     print("Result: "..string.byte(result,1)*256+string.byte(result,2).."  - high:low bytes "..string.byte(result, 1).." : "..string.byte(result, 2))
     tmr.delay(250000)
     tmr.wdclr()
end