Post your best Lua script examples here

By gwizz
#6561 Hello Lightbulb

Thanks - that really helped me understand what you are talking about.

I am sure your approach would work well for you, but I want to remove the necessity of the configurer having to run any special app. Therefore I am attracted to the idea of having a small web server just to serve up a basic config page.

I don't follow your thinking when you mention COAP, sorry!

Yes - I do appreciate that just printing FCC on the front of the module isn't quite the same as compliance ;)

My understanding is that once the radio module is certified - perhaps in a form like ESP-12 - it can be used in various projects without them all needing re-certification? Provided the can isn't opened, output power increased, antenna changed etc.

Please do start a thread if you have definitive information to share on the FCC position (and other schemes in the rest of the world :) - it would be really good to have this laid out in a clear fashion - I read the arguments on the comments on the hackaday article and I would appreciate some clarity.

Kind regards

G
By Edocecrous
#6563 Hello,

I just registered today. :-) I don't have even the SDK installed yet, and at a phase where i have the breadboard, wires, ftdi and such picked from my bins to actually do something...

I have to create a wifi interface for a device, and my first thought was to go with an attiny13, a bluetooth module and the esp8266 (so the wifi would be configured through BT). Then i found this site and checking the capabilities of the chip, it would be a shame to 'control' an 80MHz 32bit soc from a slow MC. O.o

Now reading through the posts, it seems i'll drop the BT module too, and implement a similar solution you are working on, so an android device could just connect to the esp that is in AP mode, and have a GUI config.

Good luck with your projects!
By lightbulb
Edocecrous wrote:Now reading through the posts, it seems i'll drop the BT module too, and implement a similar solution you are working on, so an android device could just connect to the esp that is in AP mode, and have a GUI config.

Yes, indeed, iOS/Android would possibly be a more expedient "app" platform to drive the intial config. This perhaps would not help gwizz too much, as the app would still need to be "distributed" to end-users and that would involve an appstore, unless the user install via apk etc, and most users dont know how to do such a process...but for a 'hacker' it would be no problem.

Infact I may experiment with this approach myself....:)

Of course the perennial problem is going to be memory on this little module, although the new jan06 firmware seems to be on a new years diet :) which is always welcome.