Chat about current Lua tools and IDEs

By ucy74
ucy74 wrote:esp8266_flasher.exe works...

GeoNomad wrote:Sorry, this is a Windows app.

esp8266_flasher.exe is Win app too - but can use textual port description pasted by user - like "COM1" or "/dev/ttyS0"

flasher.jpg
By Warthog
GeoNomad wrote:
Warthog wrote:@Herman: May try again as administrator rights?

@Peter: The upload with 921600 will not work for me. Maybe this can be made configurable to 115200? I am using a real serial port which is not capable of 921600.

Yes, I will make the option configurable. But if you just change to 115200 or any other speed, you don't need to use the automatic acceleration option. You will get most of the benefit.

The auto speed boost is just a handy feature for those of us too lazy or forgetful to change from 9600 after a reset...

Maybe I do not understand the speed option for download. When I insert
Code: Select alluart.setup(0, 115200, 8, 0, 1, 0 )
in my init.lua the download is still very slow.

Waiting for the 115200 option ;)
By Markus Gritsch
GeoNomad wrote:I did some experimenting on the weekend and found that Lua is still sending a > after every newline, even with echo off. That makes it more cumbersome to do a faster upload right now.

I expect to sort it out later.

I think I found a quite optimal solution to streamline my workflow: Now I can edit the .lua file in Sublime Text, press F7 and the .lua script gets uploaded with about 10 lines/second and is executed afterwards. In case the .lua file contains an error, I can jump to the corresponding source line with F4.

For example when testing some .lua script I wrote which is 44 LOC, uploading it with LuaLoader took about 24 seconds, while using my new method takes just 4.5 seconds.

In case someone is interested, please find the necessary files attached. uploader.py is also usable without Sublime Text, of course. It receives the .lua file to be uploaded as its first parameter.

If something is not clear, feel free to ask :)

Have fun,
Markus
Attachments
(1.17 KiB) Downloaded 266 times
By GeoNomad
Warthog wrote:Maybe I do not understand the speed option for download. When I insert
Code: Select alluart.setup(0, 115200, 8, 0, 1, 0 )
in my init.lua the download is still very slow.

Waiting for the 115200 option ;)

In the settings is an option to automatically use 921600 for upload of files. That types the uart.setup for you and changes the computer com port at the same time.

If 921600 doesn't work, just change the setting for baud rate in the upper right to the fastest that your computer supports. LuaLoader will make the change in both the ESP setting and the com port setting and everything, including uploads will now occur at the higher speed. It is quite transparent.

Just be sure to uncheck the accelerated setting if your system doesn't do 921600.

Any time you change the baud rate using the pulldown menu, LuaLoader sends the new uart.setup command to the ESP8266 before changing the rate, so they will immediately match at the higher speed.