Chat about current Lua tools and IDEs

By timg11
#77086 As I search ebay and other sites for esp8266 NodeMCU D1 Mini boards, I'm puzzled by the variations.
Has anyone identified quality suppliers?

I see V1, V2, and V3 (but there are very few V3). Does it make a difference?

What else should be considered when buying these boards? Can anyone recommend sources?
By QuickFix
timg11 wrote:NodeMCU D1 Mini boards,

I know of NodeMCU V1/2/3 boards and WeMOS D1 Mini boards, not of a combination of these two designs. :?

timg11 wrote:I see V1, V2, and V3 (but there are very few V3). Does it make a difference?

Marcel Stör wrote an article almost three years ago: still a nice and interesting read. :idea:

timg11 wrote:Has anyone identified quality suppliers?

It's the manufacturer you should go for, but since these boards are open sourced and markings (if there are any) on the board don't tell you much, it's difficult to separate the good, the bad and the ugly ones. :(
I've had the same boards, from the same supplier (on AliExpress) ordered only a week apart from each other which were still different in outward appearance (different PCB colour, finish, marking, etc.).

timg11 wrote:What else should be considered when buying these boards? Can anyone recommend sources?

I'm a hobbyist (and I'm Dutch), so I always go for cheap and think €2.50 ~ €3 (including postage and packing) is a nice price to head for. ;)
Upto now I've never received a dud or a board that failed me on the long run (but maybe I'm just lucky).