Chat about current Lua tools and IDEs

By gerardwr
#3285 I have used this setting on my Mac. The delay works for me. Disavantage is that during the transfer the lines uploaded and response from the ESP are not visible.

ATM I use luatool.py from a post on this board.

Schermafbeelding 2014-11-25 om 11.38.02.png
By 4refr0nt
#3350 luatool - new version 0.4 released

Main difference from drag-and-drop method on CoolTerm:
- not needed lines for open and close file: file.open("init.lua", "w+"), file.close()
- you can use "clear" lua files, script automatically add wrapper construction "file.writeline([[" + file_string + "]])\r"
- luatool check NodeMcu answer after sending data

Changelog v0.4

now check proper answer from NodeMCU after send data. After send string we expect echo line, if not got it, then error message displayed "Error sending data to LuaMCU" if lua interpreter error received, then error message displayed "ERROR from LUA interpreter lua:..."
    add heap info and chip id to example file init.lua
    some changes in example file main.lua
By gerardwr
4refr0nt wrote:luatool - new version 0.4 released

Many thanks, I have been using luatool for some weeks now and it worked nicely. Well done.

I like the tool, but had some remarks on the implementation:
1. I do not like the line
Code: Select allprint("lua script loaded by luatool 0.2")
you add to the top of every uploaded file. If there is an error in the file the error message points to a linenumber that is not correct for the original file. That makes finding the error spot difficult.
2. I do not like that comment lines (--) are not uploaded, same problem with line numbers as above.
3. I wished for the tool to wait for the > prompt before uploading the next line, so an error from the ESP would show. That's now implemented, great. Will try it tonight.

1. and 2. can easily be implemented by all users by changing the py source, that's nice. Perhaps something to address in the next release?

Thanks for sharing.
By RichardS
#3393 TOPIC LOCKED

Please start new threads for bugs and suggestions. One bug one suggestion per topic.

Richard.