Chat about current Lua tools and IDEs

By PIXOTO
Gopal Banerjee wrote:I have one d(ESP8266-EP 12) development board that worked fine with USB link and CP 2102 driver (COM6) port on my Windows 7 32 bit PC. It did communicate with NodeMCU flasher, responded to PUTTY commands in lua script to read AP IP address, blinkLED routines. It also could be programmed through ArduinoIDE (adding libraries for ESP8266 & board configurations for ESP-12) to work as Web Server.

But sadly when I tried ESPlorer IDE, on hitting the port OPEN button the Windows crashed (Blue Screen death) the port number (COM6) is being correctly sensed. I have latest version of JAVA installed.

Trying to diagnose through mini dump report
Bug check string is <UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP>
Caused by driver - Wdf01000.sys Caused by address - Wdf01000.sys+ 18d7c

The USB to Serial COM port drivers are SILABSER.SYS & Wdf01000.sys

I do not understand why these drivers are causing the crash of ESPlorer & Windows when these have worked fine with other programs mentioned above ? Similar crash happened when I tried out LuaLoader. Please help resolve the issue
Thanks
Gopal Banerjee

Hi for all.

I lost some days to discovered why esplorer didn't conclued the "send to esp" commad corretly.
But I tryied and tryied and tryied and don't desist.
And then.. I discovered the solution!!

Select setting options and DON'T select the DUMP option!

I do this and I have had success to load my script to my ESP-12E.

Best regards.
By dgtlrift
#55911 I'm not sure what the scope would be but having QEMU for xtensa with GDB support so to single step debug ESP8266 and ESP32 SoC would be extremely helpful. Being able to test application code logic before loading onto the hardware or being able to single step.

There is a branch of QEMU at https://github.com/OSLL/qemu-xtensa.git that includes support for the ESP8266 hardware tree.

I'm stumbling through it to get it working with xtensa-gdb, but having an IDE like ESPlorer to integrate the debugger would be a win.
By KevinA
Hans174 wrote:Hello,

Your IDE seems the tool I need but ...

.. no JAVA please.

JAVA is the source of many security problems.

Maybe you can compile your application to a running Windows/Linux version?

Hans

And following thoughts:

As you can see you need to remove Microsoft then Adobe products before Java if you are worried about security.

If you read the full article https://heimdalsecurity.com/blog/java-b ... -computer/ you'll find the 'chicken-little' effect in full force. Life is simple; 1. keep your software up to date with the latest security updates 2. Do NOT install JRE in a directory with write rights by any but user System 3. On Windows make sure you are logged in as a none administrative user BEFORE browsing the WEB. 4. Do NOT disable UAC or modify ACE as suggested by some vendors so they can 'install': mikroelektronika installs their compiler products in the Documents folder leaving all executable files open to JavaScript viruses, mikroelektronika is a Russian based company, makes you warm and fuzzy.
They rank software on how 'easy' it is to keep current, Java's update process sucks, Microsoft's >10 OS takes no BS, they FORCE updates on you by freezing the screen, Adobe, is a dying issue. Java took a big hit since so many vendors like Microchip shipped tools with the JRE embedded without a means to knowing, the end user didn't even know the JRE was installed since it was a file copy not an install hence no security updates ever made it to that copy of JRE. NOTE: They did that since the wrong version of Java would crash their application.
The Internet is a mean place, always backup your data, have a current restore point on a thumb drive along with a current Repair Thumb drive, keep a backup of your applications on thumb drives along with the information needed to reinstall them. 8GB thumb drives (USB memory sticks) are $3, buy a dozen.