Chat about current Lua tools and IDEs

By flagtrax
KevinA wrote:
Hans174 wrote:Hello,

Your IDE seems the tool I need but ...

.. no JAVA please.

JAVA is the source of many security problems.

Maybe you can compile your application to a running Windows/Linux version?

Hans

And following thoughts:

As you can see you need to remove Microsoft then Adobe products before Java if you are worried about security.

If you read the full article https://heimdalsecurity.com/blog/java-b ... -computer/ you'll find the 'chicken-little' effect in full force. Life is simple; 1. keep your software up to date with the latest security updates 2. Do NOT install JRE in a directory with write rights by any but user System 3. On Windows make sure you are logged in as a none administrative user BEFORE browsing the WEB. 4. Do NOT disable UAC or modify ACE as suggested by some vendors so they can 'install': mikroelektronika installs their compiler products in the Documents folder leaving all executable files open to JavaScript viruses, mikroelektronika is a Russian based company, makes you warm and fuzzy.
They rank software on how 'easy' it is to keep current, Java's update process sucks, Microsoft's >10 OS takes no BS, they FORCE updates on you by freezing the screen, Adobe, is a dying issue. Java took a big hit since so many vendors like Microchip shipped tools with the JRE embedded without a means to knowing, the end user didn't even know the JRE was installed since it was a file copy not an install hence no security updates ever made it to that copy of JRE. NOTE: They did that since the wrong version of Java would crash their application.
The Internet is a mean place, always backup your data, have a current restore point on a thumb drive along with a current Repair Thumb drive, keep a backup of your applications on thumb drives along with the information needed to reinstall them. 8GB thumb drives (USB memory sticks) are $3, buy a dozen.

Interesting chart. i'm not sure where the numbers come from since CVSS V3 is on a scale of 1-10 according to their (CVSS.ORG) website. Oh, from Cisco.......
By RFZ
#57728 Hi,
can someone please tell me where ESPlorer saves its settings on Windows 10?
Mine still has "autorun file after save to esp" enabled which cannot be disabled via GUI anymore (BUG). I couldn't find anything in c:\users\USER\AppData or HKCU\Software or HKLM\Software ...

EDIT: Found it: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Prefs\com\esp8266.ru\/E/S/Plorer\config
By holger
#59663 Dear ESP8266 Freaks,
discovered a few Days ago the ESPplorer IDE and love to work with it. I am Beginner in programming with Python and Micropython but have noticed that the Module PYB changed to MACHINE so some build-in Functions are not ok in the actual Release. Maybe is it possible to move this Part in a extra Config-File so every User can change this in the future if it nessesary?

Kind regards,

Holger
By marcelstoer
holger wrote:I am Beginner in programming with Python and Micropython but have noticed that the Module PYB changed to MACHINE so some build-in Functions are not ok in the actual Release. Maybe is it possible to move this Part in a extra Config-File so every User can change this in the future if it nessesary?

I suggest you don't artificially prolong this thread but create an issue on https://github.com/4refr0nt/ESPlorer for bugs and feature requests.