Chat about current Lua tools and IDEs

By danny_orionrobots
Mmiscool wrote:If the scratch like editor is programmed in java script it might be possible to make module self host the environment.

This way the kids will never have to install any thing or even connect the device to the computer with a wire. This is what I have been doing with esp basic for quite some time and is one of its main features.

I think that some thing like that could really put this project over the top.

The project is mostly in JS. It would take some major effort to fit it in the flash memory left after NodeMCU/Lua - or it could host a startup page and then load a bunch of the other files hosted elsewhere (CORS/CSRF issues may complicate it). Currently - the whole app takes up about 8mb. Stuff like font-awesome and so on are probably excessive. It's definitely worth a look to see how much I could compress it. Considering most of the complicating things and bugs are related to the serial communication, putting this on the device would eliminate a whole class of bugs.
By mekkatronix
#52880 [quote="Currently it's been written to the firmware I had setup (0.9.6), there are bugs in it and it definitely needs some work, however it is in a state where others can use it and contribute. It's currently a Google Chrome app, and requires that the esp's already have the Lua firmware on them with a 9600 baud rate (I'm yet to add a setting for this).

The project is at http://github.com/orionrobots/bounce

I'd love to get comments, testers, issues and pull requests for it.[/quote]

I keep getting the "Not running NODEMCU" message with my Windows-based ESP8266-12E NodeMCU, although it shows to be properly flashed with the Nodemcu Flasher. Any ideas what I am doing wrong?
By danny_orionrobots
mekkatronix wrote:[quote="Currently it's been written to the firmware I had setup (0.9.6), there are bugs in it and it definitely needs some work, however it is in a state where others can use it and contribute. It's currently a Google Chrome app, and requires that the esp's already have the Lua firmware on them with a 9600 baud rate (I'm yet to add a setting for this).

The project is at http://github.com/orionrobots/bounce

I'd love to get comments, testers, issues and pull requests for it.

I keep getting the "Not running NODEMCU" message with my Windows-based ESP8266-12E NodeMCU, although it shows to be properly flashed with the Nodemcu Flasher. Any ideas what I am doing wrong?[/quote]

The most recent version has a baud rate setting - so the first thing is to make sure that setting matches your NodeMCU setting. Which version of Bounce have you currently got (you can see this by going to chrome:://settings)?