As the title says... Chat on...

By cal
#18854 Hi Terry,

I skimmed the stuff and had only 2 places where we may disagree and a few typos.
I will give it a detailed review at the weekend and note what I found.
There where a few places where it may be that I didn't know an english idiom but will list it nevertheless.
I read my bit of english and if I didn't know it others may miss it, too.

It encourages me to finally publish some of my esp8266 notes, too.
Not as literature like yours but just notes.
I plan to put them online as a github wiki for the following reason:

It's easy for everone to make a copy for personal use or clone it to whatever git repo seems fit.

alonewolfx2 did a good job providing this forum for us and the wiki but does not respond
to requests like fixing the message template that combines "by" and the user name.
I think I tried it 3 times on different ways and others posted about the problem, too, without success.

So I am hesitating to put too much effort in some php wiki where I don't see a way to get the content as a whole
without some kind of backup. If he decides to put it down, its gone.
If it's only a few pages it's probably ok to manually duplicate it.

I think we saw bigger elephants die.

Cal
By TerryE
#18877 Cal,

We can sort out typos and simple grammar mistakes as part of editing.

I would be veryinterested in exploring where we disagree, but why not spin up separate specific topics for this if they merit it.

Use of English idiom and complex grammar is bad -- this should be understandable by readers who have English as a second language.

As to others like you publishing notes, then it does make sense to unify this repository into a common format. E.g. a FAQ Q&A format or "white papers" on specific technical topics. I say "unified" in that it only makes sense to cover each topic once and to resolve any technical conflicts amongst ourselves rather giving inconsistent advice to new programmers.

I think it's a pity that alonewolfx2 chose Dowiki rather than a full featured wiki such as Mediawiki.

I've maintained and administered both MediaWiki and phpBB sites, so I'll contact him about doing the fix you want.
By TerryE
#18993 Cal, I have installed a dokuWiki instance on my Dev PC so I can use it rather that MediaWiki for maintaining the FAQ. I have also pushed the current snapshot on the ESP8266 wiki on the nodeMCU Unofficial FAQ page so that it is more accessible to forum users.

:)