As the title says... Chat on...

By sej7278
#5712 apparently the two missing simcall headers are in the xp vm but not the lubuntu one or the xtensa-lx106-elf.tar.bz2 (in fact this is discussed a whole page back from this one!)

they don't actually seem to be needed in the crosstool-ng toolchains like the wiki one you linked to or esp-open-sdk.

people need to move away from using dodgy vm's that are running some unknown version of what appears to be a closed toolchain, to proper gcc toolchains.

unfortunately the xp vm seems to be the only way to reliably compile nodemcu at least, so we need to spot the difference and figure out why.
By zeroday
RogerClark wrote:Hi

I just tried running make, using the Lubuntu VM image version supplied by Expressif and I get this error

/opt/xtensa-lx106-elf/lib/gcc/xtensa-lx106-elf/4.8.2/include/sys/fcntl.h:31:34: fatal error: xtensa/simcall-fcntl.h: No such file or directory
#include <xtensa/simcall-fcntl.h>
^

which seems to imply that here is something missing from the toolchain :-(

It looks like its in the version here

https://github.com/esp8266/esp8266-wiki/wiki/Toolchain

But I'm a bit loathed to just replace all of my headers

Especially when I"m not sure why any should be missing from the Expressif VM image

I guess perhaps I should post to the compiler thread

(798 Bytes) Downloaded 666 times

(3.86 KiB) Downloaded 643 times

these two files from xp vm.
put it in toolchain/ include/xtensa/
if there is no xtensa folder, create one.
By zeroday
sej7278 wrote:apparently the two missing simcall headers are in the xp vm but not the lubuntu one or the xtensa-lx106-elf.tar.bz2 (in fact this is discussed a whole page back from this one!)

they don't actually seem to be needed in the crosstool-ng toolchains like the wiki one you linked to or esp-open-sdk.

people need to move away from using dodgy vm's that are running some unknown version of what appears to be a closed toolchain, to proper gcc toolchains.

unfortunately the xp vm seems to be the only way to reliably compile nodemcu at least, so we need to spot the difference and figure out why.

the first difference is the way C structure memory alignment was treated. causes exception(9) in file api...
there is a long way to go, I am not familiar with toolchain and compiler. and any help from the community is appreciated.
By RogerClark
#5717 The reason I'm using the Lubuntu VM was that it was the one on supplied by Espressif themselves, hence I assumed this was the officially sanctioned way to compile - and consequentially going to be the most stable.

I did briefly look at the Windows route, and may still try that route again, but last time I tried (a few week ago) there were some problems with the Windows native toolchain (well kinda native as I think it uses Cygwin)

Re: where this is discussed

Umm.

I did a search on the forum but it didn't turn up any results for that file name

I'll just add those files to my VM and see how it goes.

Thanks