Downloading and installing the new Arduino IDE for ESP8266

Moderator: igrr

By gerardwr
#46609 And the saga continues!

Just installed Arduino 1.6.9 Hourly Build 28 april 2016.

And now, the numbers compiling my 800 line sketch using 9 libraries:
- Full build : 35 secs
- No change Recompile : 11 secs
- Changed sketch Recompile : 11 secs

It seems like the slow "Changed Sketch Recompile" of 1.6.8 leading to a full build has been fixed.

I'm getting a little paranoid, so I re-checked Arduino 1.6.8 and the Changed sketch Recompile is still 35 secs.

But the compile times of Arduino 1.6.5 are still a lot faster.

I think I'll give the Hour Build 1.6.9 a try for a couple of days, instead of using 1.6.5.
By krzychb
#46612 @gerardwr

Actually this is very good news.
The results are now getting more consistent with what I have measured for Windows!

Krzysztof

compilation benchmarking.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by krzychb on Sun May 01, 2016 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
By gerardwr
krzychb wrote:Actually this is very good news.
The results are now getting more consistent with what I have measured for Windows!
compilation benchmarking.png

Yep, happy here too.

Still "odd" that the "Changed Sketch Recompile" of 1.6.8 on my Mac does a Full Rebuild lasting 35 secs, and your W7 does a partial rebuild lasting 13 secs. If I did now know any better, and not had done a fresh install of 1.6.8, I would have thought it to be a "user error".

But, let's not dwell in the past, the future seems bright :-)

Thanks for your support.
By gerardwr
gerardwr wrote:But the compile times of Arduino 1.6.5 are still a lot faster.

I think I'll give the Hour Build 1.6.9 a try for a couple of days, instead of using 1.6.5.

UPDATE: I've been using the Arduino 1.6.9 hourly build for more than 1 week without any trouble. As reported earlier the SLOW re-compiles of Arduino 1.6.8 (on Mac) are fixed in 1.6.9.

Yes, 1.6.9 compiles much slower than 1.6.5, but I live with the lower compile time and use the latest Arduino version.