Downloading and installing the new Arduino IDE for ESP8266

Moderator: igrr

By Angelo Santagata
#20759 Hi all,

Ive tried everything, different versions and i am unable to deploy an arduino sketch to an ESP8266 (NodeMCU dev Board - ESP12 based) - Ive given up...

Here we go
- Connected to the PC using the inbuilt USB port on NodeMCU
- The board runs LUA just fine no problems
- Using Arduino IDE 1.6.5 (tried 1.6.5r2 and nightly builds 1.6.6 as well same)
- Set Additional Boards to http://arduino.esp8266.com/package_esp8 ... index.json
- Set board type = Node MCU
- Programmer is set to "use programmer" , or AVRISP mk2 (there is no option for ESP8266), however verbose output indicates its using ESPTool to flash
- Am able to flash

When I run/reset the board to run the sketch I'm getting the following from the serial console (in 74800 Baud)

Code: Select all ets Jan  8 2013,rst cause:2, boot mode:(3,7)

load 0x40100000, len 28688, room 16
tail 0
chksum 0xef
load 0x33333333, len 858993459, room 8

And thats it..

Im stumped..

Also as FYI i tried VisualMicro but alas this wouldnt flash to the board at all.. :-(

Any ideas???

edit 20-June-2015 : We finally solved it. Its because my nodeMCU board is a ESP8266-12E and the flash commands are slightly different, also another board of mine which wasnt working at all is also a 12E too..

Solution is to install arduino IDE, install ESP8266 JSON pack then Edit the additional boards.txt and add the nodemcu2 board details from github, restart and all works!
Last edited by Angelo Santagata on Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
By tytower
#20772 Most of these problems come down to wiring . See the wiki notes . Got GPIO15 grounded? also GPIO) . Got CH_PD high also reset. Got rx to TX and TX to RX?. Most lines like a resistor in there 1 to 10K.

If thats all OK then when you power on the LED should flash once and its ready to flash . Don't get that ? don't bother .
I had issues with cheap chinese b/b wires which just came away from the plastic as if they were burnt out . Chip pulls 250 mA at times and it has been suggested short pulses of 450 mA each 100ms.

The message above is a reset message and I will add it to my post as I'm trying to get a list of them together.
By Angelo Santagata
#20790 mmmm

Does this apply to the nodeMCU dev board??? Im using a nodeMCU board it and flashes fine.

**However** Ive just checked GPIO15 and its not being pulled to ground.. so Ive added a wire there.. I'll also add the others later today.
One connector I cant find is CH_PD on the schematic @ https://github.com/nodemcu/nodemcu-devkit
By torntrousers
#20791 The NodeMCU board should work on with the Arduino IDE without any additional jumpers. As you've said it works ok with LUA could it be a software problem - what does the sketch do that you're uploading? Bugs in the sketch can cause wdt resets. Try with a simple hello type thing.