Downloading and installing the new Arduino IDE for ESP8266

Moderator: igrr

By gerardwr
#46516 Thanks for your reaction.

picstart wrote:Yes. Arduino esp8266 1.6.8 does seem to recompile everything every time.

See the reply from Krzysztof, it's "checking library dependencies".

picstart wrote:I run two installations 1.6.5 and 1.6.8 using separated folders for each version and each folder containing a subfolder named Portable. Portable prevents the oozing of the arduino system into several OS specific folders.

I'm running 1.6.5 and 1.6.8 with the "oozing" files, your solution with the Portable folder sounds like a sensible one. I'll have a look at that.

picstart wrote:I am always learning when it comes to esp8266 but if I find an issue I'm still unsure as to how to report it and to who.
In fairness very many things work well.

The ESP8266 support in Arduino is excellent! Raising an issue at the Github often leads to a quick fix. Go Ivan!
As reported by Krzysztof this issue is caused by Arduino, and is reported to the Arduino team. Hope it will get the attention it deserves. Fingers crossed!
By krzychb
#46541 Hi gerardwr,
gerardwr wrote:I compiled Wifiwebserver (...). This sketch uses 1 library.
Arduino 1.6.5 : Initial compile=34 secs, Recompile=3secs
Arduino 1.6.8 : Initial compile=34 secs, Recompile=8secs

Compared to my 800 line sketch with 9 libraries:
Arduino 1.6.5 : Initial compile= 45 secs, Recompile=5secs
Arduino 1.6.8 : Initial compile=45 secs, Recompile=45secs

You have provided very good user case where for 800 lines sketch Arduino IDE 1.6.8 failed miserably comparing to 1.6.5.
On the other hand for small sketch like WiFiWebServer.ino (about 80 lines) this is not visible.
gerardwr wrote:I think it's strange that this issue is not reported often on the internet, as it slows down development using Arduino a lot.

It may be because most of Arduino IDE users work with smaller sketches. To handle bigger application people tend to move to using other IDE.

One way or another your case really intrigued me. Have you checked compilation times using PlatformIO IDE or Arduino Eclipse Plugin V3?
Basing on my testing couple of weeks ago, set up of either of them is now as easy as set up of Arduino IDE. This is including ESP8266 support provided out of the box :D
I did my testing on Windows but both PlatformIO IDE and Arduino Eclipse Plugin V3 support MacOS.

If you are skeptical trying other IDE, then share your code and I am happy to do the testing (on Windows or Ubuntu, I do not have Mac). I strongly believe that each of these three IDEs has something to offer depending on user preferences and skills and we should push development not to get stuck with old releases.

Krzysztof
By gerardwr
krzychb wrote:It may be because most of Arduino IDE users work with smaller sketches. To handle bigger application people tend to move to using other IDE.

One way or another your case really intrigued me. Have you checked compilation times using PlatformIO IDE or Arduino Eclipse Plugin V3?
Basing on my testing couple of weeks ago, set up of either of them is now as easy as set up of Arduino IDE. This is including ESP8266 support provided out of the box :D
I did my testing on Windows but both PlatformIO IDE and Arduino Eclipse Plugin V3 support MacOS.

If you are skeptical trying other IDE, then share your code and I am happy to do the testing (on Windows or Ubuntu, I do not have Mac). I strongly believe that each of these three IDEs has something to offer depending on user preferences and skills and we should push development not to get stuck with old releases.

Krzysztof

Hi Krysztof,

Thanks for your response.

No, I just checked compile times on Arduino. I previously glanced at PlatformIO and Eclipse, but was always happy enough with Arduino and did not bother to setup the other platforms. As you say the setup of these other platforms is easy as Arduino I'll have another look. I would also prefer to be able to use the latest Arduino environment but am not too pleased with the latest versions.

Would be great if you could benchmark my 800 line sketch on these other platforms. You can find the sketch (temporarily) over here: http://textuploader.com/5y36t

Thanks.
By krzychb
#46545 @gerardwr,

I have checked your 800 lines sketch for:
- PlatformIO IDE 1.1.2
- Test PC as specified here
- Board NodeMCU 1.0

Libraries I had to install (other were out of box):
- Time - http://platformio.org/lib/show/44/Time
- NTPClient - http://platformio.org/lib/show/551/NTPClient
- SSD1306Ascii - https://github.com/greiman/SSD1306Ascii

Results are as follows::
- Complete build: 19s
- Recompile w/o any changes: 3s
- Recompile w/ main sketch changed 5s

Krzysztof
Last edited by krzychb on Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.