Downloading and installing the new Arduino IDE for ESP8266

Moderator: igrr

By mconsidine
#58434 Hi,
Apologies in advance if I missed a thread that covers this question.

I have the Arduino IDE installed under Windows (v 1.6.12 and Vista, for what its worth). In "Preferences" I set the Additional Boards URL to the stable version of the ESP package at arduino.esp8266.com

All of this works fine. What I would like to now do is upgrade those libraries with the latest version on github. Following these instructions from the github home page
Go to Arduino directory
Clone this repository into hardware/esp8266com/esp8266 directory (or clone it elsewhere and create a symlink)

cd hardware
mkdir esp8266com
cd esp8266com
git clone https://github.com/esp8266/Arduino.git esp8266

Download binary tools (you need Python 2.7)

cd esp8266/tools
python get.py

Restart Arduino

also seems to work fine (no obvious errors), until I get to the last line. Upon restarting Arduino, I don't seem to have the latest version of the library installed.

So I figure at this juncture I'm just reading too much into those instructions and need to do something else.

Can anyone suggest what the best way is to have the github version installed so that I can use it instead of the currently installed version? Is it as simple as just copying the libraries over? Should I point the Arduino IDE to additional info that might be in the boards.txt, platform.txt, programmers.txt etc files?

This seems like it is a simple question so I feel like I have missed something. Apologies if I have and thanks for any pointers in getting this done under Windows.
mconsidine
Last edited by mconsidine on Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By mconsidine
#58440 Okay, I think I have this sorted out.

Firstly, the "Arduino" folder referenced on github is the one that is under - in my case - "Program Files (x86)" - not the Arduino related folder under AppData->Local (again, in my case).

What I first did was edit the preferences.txt file to remove the "additional boards" url. Then I deleted the version of the library I had installed, but not - obviously - code that I have been working on.

Once that was done, I followed the directions I quoted above, but this time creating the specified resources in the Arduino *program* directory. For what it's worth, I used "GIT Gui" to clone the repository to the appropriate folder and having had Python already installed, I could just double click on get.py

Once I did that and selected an ESP8266 board, the libraries showed up in the list of available libraries.

Hope this helps.
mconsidine