Downloading and installing the new Arduino IDE for ESP8266

Moderator: igrr

By QuickFix
axel0909 wrote:Hi i am using wemos D1 R1
Any one to help me please ?

The Wemos D1 R1 is just like any other Wemos/NodeMCU development board, the only difference being it having an Arduino UNO-like form factor.
Please note that, although the Wemos D1 looks like an ATMEL based UNO, it isn't capable of doing the exact same things as an ATMEL DUO can; it only looks like a UNO. :idea:

But back to the problem, which can be solved using the same procedure as with all other USB-UART based ESP developments boards:
  • Remove everything (and I mean everything) from the board, including the USB cable
  • Have a look at the USB -> UART convertor on board; it should either be a CH340 (which is shaped rectangularly) or a CP2102 (which is square shaped).
    This chip should be in the vicinity of the USB connector.
    The original (and most clones of) D1 R1 boards use the CH340, but you'd better check to be sure
  • Download the driver for the convertor used:
  • Install the just downloaded driver on your system
This next bit is based on Windows machines, since that is what I'm used to, but it should be similar on other systems (but you'll have to transpose things yourself on this)

• Open the "Device manager" by right-clicking the Windows "Start"-button and choosing "Device manager"
  • Expand the node called "Ports (COM & LPT)" (note: the tree might be empty at this point)
    DeviceManager1.png
  • Now, while watching the screen, insert the USB cable into the development board
    If all's well, you should see an extra item being added:
    DeviceManager2.png

Make a note of the COM-port displayed (in above example, on my machine, it's "COM10")
    If nothing happens at all:
    • Check cable
    • Replace cable
    • Re-install USB driver
    • If that all fails: try on another machine
    • If that fails as well: at best the convertor on your board is defective
  • Open the Arduino IDE and go to "Tools" -> "Port" -> "COMx", where x is the COM-port you just noted down (you can leave the other settings as-is for now)
    Arduino1.png
  • Invoke the serial monitor by selecting "Tools" -> "Serial monitor" or by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+M
    Arduino2.png
  • Set the baud rate (at the bottom right) to 74880 Baud and press the "RESET" button on your development board; you should see something similar to this:
    Arduino3.png
If all went as above, you should be able to flash your board, if not please tell us what you get (and at what stage). :idea:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By abellisco
#92830 Hi all.
I know it has been more than a year ago since you posted this, and you perhaps did not even keep the boards any more. If you did keep the boards, and would still like to make a try, I yesterday posted a workaround that worked for me with a problem that looks exactly like yours.
Post #92816
esptool.FatalError: Failed to connect: a possible solution
It's also posted on Github:
https://github.com/abellisco/liscolab/blob/main/esp8266_packet_header_timeout

I guess it will be useful to check if the proposed workaround works in other cases, besides my own case.

please let me know if it works, or if you have further questions, all the commands used are in the document
(Linux Ubuntu installation)

regards
Abel