Downloading and installing the new Arduino IDE for ESP8266

Moderator: igrr

By PawnDrifter
#19160 I made it further and have it burning through the IDE, now I just have to prove that it is running as the blink isn't blinking but that's another story.
Just wanted to close the loop for others.

To get past the sync issue for me was a couple of issues:

1) stupid me. one-off breadboard wire placement on FTDI RX and TX pins. That would never have worked.

2) separating power supplies, sharing common ground between them. The FTDI now gets it's power from the USB on the PC. The 8266-07 board that I have has a voltage shifter on it that accepts 5V in. I used that for most of the 8266 3.3V pins that need to be held at 3.3V. Before fixing this, the ground issue kept the FTDI from syncing.

3) Connected 3.3V lines from FTDI to ESP as follows order (FTDI/ESP):

FTDI ESP
------ -----------
RX ---> TX
TX ----> RX
GND --> GND
DTR ---> GPIO-0 (zero)
CTS ---> RESET

I used Arduino 1.6.4 at 115200 8/n/1

Hope the above helps.
It does burn both flash areas, but I haven't had time to make sure it can reboot and execute (it appears not to yet, but it could be the blink program mapping to pin13, or it could he held in reset or flash mode - I'll keep at it.)
By jarri
#25366 I was uploading for some days many esp01 through a mega2560 . I was using this wiring configuration :
- Vcc to 3.3v (ATX power supply modified as labBench power supply)
- Gnd to GND
- Esp TX to Arduino TX
- Esp RX to Arduino RX
- GPIO O to GND
- GPIO 2 floating
- CH_PD to 3.3v
- Reset I let it floating meanwhile I start-on the esp,then connect to gnd and then to 3.3v ,and I let in 3.3v
* The arduino reset pin is connected to the same Gnd than Esp

Everything was working fine but suddenly I couldn't upload anymore . I solved it connecting the Gnd of the arduino to the same Gnd than esp ,now is working again :)